Parts identification confusion?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AJS_Chris

Parts identification confusion?

Post by AJS_Chris »

Morning all,
Please can someone help me with identifying a couple of spares. I can see the spares I need in the 'official' 1951 Model 18 spares book but I can't find these part numbers on the AMOC spares website. My dilemma is that I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong spares book, the wrong parts on the AMOC website or if the parts are the same just with different numbers? As I said earlier the bike is a 1951 Model 18 and the parts in question are:

Chain case rubber seal:
AJS parts book - 016294
AMOC spares - 018652AD (this is the alternative design that I've read is better)

Metal band for chain case:
AJS parts book - 017199
AMOC spares - 018650

I did drop AMOC spares an email but haven't heard back so I could well have mucked that up, wouldn't be the first time! Perhaps all AJS metal chain cases are the same and the numbers don't matter?

Also, I have the push/pull fuel taps fitted to my bike and one of the taps is leaking from around the sliding part of the tap. The slide has become quite loose and I suspect that the two seals that press against the slide have aged. Does anyone know if these seals are available as a spare or is it a new tap (or if there is a magic fix - soaking the tap in Unicorn urine for example)? Am I a victim of the dreaded Ethanol?

Thank you in advance,
Chris.
clive

Re: Parts identification confusion?

Post by clive »

The 017199 chaincase band was for an earlier chaincase seal (the profile is shown in your parts list a mushroom shape). The later band 018650 had a seal that fitted only outside the case and was consequently a slightly larger profile. This one will fit your bike and will be suitable to use with the modified seal (recommended). The difference in profile will not be noticeable and the band will function on your bike.
If you are a rivet counter the earlier band was fitted with brass ends riveted on for the screw that tightens them up. I doubt you will find a supplier of one like this new and would have to go for second hand and even then I have not seen one in a jumble for years. The newer ones have aluminium end pieces.

The seal in the push pull taps is a cork two per tap part number 111 in the spares scheme. You can cut your own but it's probably not worth it. I would buy a few extra as they can leak from new, and anyway they may take a while to swell into full seal when you fit them.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix

Post by 1608 »

Be careful when taking the taps apart as they are fragile. Soak the new corks in boiling water for about 15/20 seconds to soften them, as they will appear too large at about 5/16" but they will fit.
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thank you Clive and 1608.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ements.pdf
1951 was when old pt. no's. were changed to new. The club uses new part numbers. Revisions were made then onwards, some parts getting an even newer pt. no. Like this revision pictured below in 1954 master parts list that also coverts old to new numbers. New are listed on the left of old pt. no's. Later master pars lists also made revisions. The club will probably use the latest revised pt. no. So if you fail to find a pt. no. not listed in clubs spares, it is worth checking the above file which is a compilations of master parts lists. In which you can convert old pre 1951 numbers, to new part numbers, also discover any revisions that may have been made there after.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.15_13h58m55s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thank you Rob.
clive

Post by clive »

Yes Rob useful to note that part numbers changed but you will see in the note you have pasted that part number 017199 was a new number and replaced 12302-7 so this does not help with the question. As I outlined above the reason for the part number change from 52 to 54 was because the profile of the seal changed and with it the profile of the band. The club only sells the later band and seal.
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The clip was from the 54 old to new pt. no. converter master parts list Clive. In the 1960 AMC master parts list, they still show 017199. Also the later numbers. These master parts lists showed old and new part numbers. So are useful for converting numbers, also seeing any changes. As they also list replace parts numbers and a totally new number if the part has been re designed, as you have stated Clive. They were not intended as a parts list for a certain year/model bike. Master parts lists were a list of the latest price for a part. For parts refer to the bikes parts list. For the price of the part, refer to the latest Master Parts list. Note in 1954 Master parts list pt. no. 017199 is 9 shillings and 11 pence. In 1960 parts list this part is still listed, price now in 1960 has gone up to 13 shillings and 2 pence 018650 is listed as 10 shillings and 4 pence in 1960 list. It was probably cheaper when first introduced.
These Master parts lists are of no use to us now, for the reason they were intended. That being the latest price list for parts. They are useful to us for converting numbers, also see dimensions not given in later parts lists. Sorry if that did not seem to be received in the way I intended. It may also explain why they still show parts that have been given new numbers, or a totally new number as part design changed.
One would have to refer to the bikes parts list to discover the actual pt. no. required Clive, also refer to earlier parts lists perhaps, to discover when that part was first introduced, as you have researched or knew and stated. This all helps others to find their way and discover answers to their own questions. It is we that have renamed these lists as part number conversion lists, as that's what they will do for us now.
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Have you actually read the original enquiry? The question was "Perhaps all AJS metal chain cases are the same and the numbers don't matter?" The point being the club only list one of the two bands and are they interchangeable? This requires advice from someone with experience of both bands and cannot be resolved by resorting to parts lists.
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Rob Have you actually read the original enquiry? The question was "Perhaps all AJS metal chain cases are the same and the numbers don't matter?" The point being the club only list one of the two bands and are they interchangeable? This requires advice from someone with experience of both bands and cannot be resolved by resorting to parts lists.
Looks like I wasted my time then Clive