Kill switch?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Re: Kill switch?

Post by cfaber »

Thanks everyone, yeah I'm running the SR mag, how about security?
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

cfaber wrote: ... how about security?
As far as when out and about is concerned I think few casual thieves would attempt or know how to start and ride away one of our old bikes.......

According to my insurers very few bikes are ridden away but a van turns up with magnetic signs (or not) on the side saying 'ACME MOTORCYCLE RECOVERY' or something similar, then two chaps in overalls and reflective jackets (one maybe with a clip board) hop out and lift the bike into the back of the van and are gone in around 30 seconds. The bikes are later stripped and sold as spares online, or at autojumbles/swapmeets etc.

Chaining the bike to a post or fitting a hidden ignition switch would probably deter joy-riders but most chains/locks can be fairly easily cut away by crims. Besides, a chain/lock strong enough to be a serious deterrent is inconvenient to carry, dirty/oily to fit and remove and extremely heavy.
Some advocate leaving a manual magneto bike with the ignition fully advanced on the basis that a prospective crim wouldn't be able to start it up, or maybe (hopefully) they'd dislocate a knee first.

In the garage or shed it's not such an issue as there are many ways to secure bikes.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

cfaber wrote:Thanks everyone, yeah I'm running the SR mag, how about security?
Not sure how a kill switch would contribute to security. Personally I think riding a not particularly sparkling Matchless rather than a Vincent contributes to security, mind you round our way it's the scooters that get nicked anyway.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When our old bikes were built security was not needed. Most people were honest people and showed respect for other peoples property. The main danger to our old bike are mainly people that know them. Just like us. Un like years ago, the dis honest have been given an easy ride selling bikes and bits. This being, with the inventory of Auto jumbles, car boot sales and e bay
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Thanks folks!
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?