'54 parts book?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

'54 parts book?

Post by cfaber »

Anyone have this in PDF form?

Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Stuoyb

Re: '54 parts book?

Post by Stuoyb »

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Your Profile doesn't indicate whether you have an Ajay or Matchless. (Edit: I see your later post mentions an Ajay)
However, if you don't have it here's a beautifully clear copy of the '54 Owners Manual suitable for either marque.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks for posting the link to the spares list.

I've realised I don't have a carb spacer fitted (021252 Spacer carb)- would this also insulate the carb from the engine? Would fitting one of these help with carburation as currently if I have it set up for tick over when startedcold, it is too lean for tick over when hot, hence having to resort to blipping the throttle to stop it stalling at light etc. Is this because with no spacer fitted the fuel is evaporating hence weakening the mixture?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stephen G80 wrote:Thanks for posting the link to the spares list.

I've realised I don't have a carb spacer fitted (021252 Spacer carb)- would this also insulate the carb from the engine? Would fitting one of these help with carburation as currently if I have it set up for tick over when startedcold, it is too lean for tick over when hot, hence having to resort to blipping the throttle to stop it stalling at light etc. Is this because with no spacer fitted the fuel is evaporating hence weakening the mixture?
You have manual A/R When you start up with lever retarded, do not fully open it until the engine has warmed up. If you do advance the ignition too soon, you will have to keep the revs up or the engine will cut out. Worse still, if you start to ride the bike, when you shut down the engine will stall. You set the tick over with the engine at normal running tempt. So if you shut down or stop when riding the engine will tick over.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Stuoyb wrote:On Christians archives:-
http://www.archives.jampot.dk/

Here's the direct link:-
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
Thanks!
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Stephen G80 wrote: I've realised I don't have a carb spacer fitted (021252 Spacer carb)- would this also insulate the carb from the engine? Would fitting one of these help with carburation
There should be an insulating spacer.
I've never run my bikes without one but it seems logical that fuel vaporisation could occur if one isn't fitted.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The carb spacer is about 3/4" thick. If you haven't got one fitted then you've probably got the wrong mounting studs as well. You'll need to fit the correct ones when you fit the insulated spacer.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The carb spacer topic has been disused , so can be searched. Not sure without checking the thickness , but the are all the same. Make sure you get the correct bore dia. The spacer seems to have been introduced in 1941. It was iron head, different type carb and wartime. Having never had a spacer until 1941 suggests this extra cost and demand on raw materials had nothing to do with carburation settings. Why suddenly start using a spacer at wartime??? My guess is fuel economy.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Synthetic resin paper, (SRP - Tufnol), was developed in the 20s and it's properties were used to good effect during the war in many applications. I guess it would have been the preferred choice of material to insulate the carb from heat generated by the engine. I'm not sure when the benefits of tuned inlet and exhaust tracts became known but it would also have been an easy way to tune the length of the inlet tract.

I'd certainly return the engine to it's original design by fitting the spacer.

Regards Mick