1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
George Kaplan

Re: My new restoration project

Post by George Kaplan »

Matt Durkin, there are no pics of a barrel so far. There is a close up of a plain bearing though? Maybe if you are looking at the pics on a smartphone then you have mistaken them for a cylinder? If you start a post about your issue I will reply there rather than hijack this one but if I were you I would just take the barrel off to check it. Its not much of a job.

cfaber, great project! I am looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

The last few pictures that you have posted are not visible to me although I can see the first set of pictures. Can you check that they are not in a folder marked as private please.

Thanks.

John
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

George Kaplan wrote:Matt Durkin, there are no pics of a barrel so far.
I thought the same, John, but the barrel is shown in his YouTube video, although I can't see a 'wire' anywhere.

Matt Durkin wrote: ... I seemed to snag on a wire of some kind within the barrel.
..........I managed to hook and pull it out.
I now worry that whatever it was was really perhaps meant to be there...... but above the piston top though????????
There shouldn't be anything in the cylinder above the piston.

Re. the decompressor, I could have a look for a photo but I haven't time today. Matt, you should find something if you browse the Owners and Workshop manuals in Christians Archive or search this site using the 'Search' spyglass icon at top of this page.

And I can't see those photos in Colin's latest post either, just a 'No Entry' symbol.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Ah, I forgot about the youtube video. I had another look at it and I cant see anything in the bore either.

Glad its not just me who cant see the pictures.

John
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Thanks for the heads up guys, I've moved the images to my personal host so there should be no problems viewing them anymore.
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

cfaber wrote:
clanger9 wrote:Interesting project, looks like a great find!

The timing side bronze bearing should have a little locating pin in the recess. I can't see it in the photo. Is it there on your bike, or has it fallen out?
It must have been lost by the PO, what is the part number for that? Maybe I'm missing it in the 54 parts book, but I'm not seeing it referenced. Additionally as you can see, someone staked the bushing in.
Confusingly there's no pin shown in '54 parts list diagram, but it's there in the text: "012233 Peg, securing timing side bush."
Here's a picture of a Lightweight bush with the pin in place (not quite the same, but you get the idea...):
IMG_1753.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

cfaber - if you end up not being able to find a glass pilot light lens exactly the same mold/lens as your existing one give me a shout as mine are not exactly the same - one has the lens ridges in the outside the other on the inside. We could do a swap so we both end up with a matching set! :D
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought a pair of new lenses for the Lucas 516 'Torpedo' sidelight form Auto Electric Supplies Ltd. They have them at £4.20 each, Part no. 177013.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1200
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Pharisee wrote:I bought a pair of new lenses for the Lucas 516 'Torpedo' sidelight form Auto Electric Supplies Ltd. They have them at £4.20 each, Part no. 177013.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1200
Ah, fantastic! just ordered a set!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Stephen G80 wrote:cfaber - if you end up not being able to find a glass pilot light lens exactly the same mold/lens as your existing one give me a shout as mine are not exactly the same - one has the lens ridges in the outside the other on the inside. We could do a swap so we both end up with a matching set! :D
Given how cheap they are, I'd suggest purchasing them from the link Pharisee posted.

I only needed 1 but purchased 2 so the color matches exactly.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

clanger9 wrote:
cfaber wrote:
clanger9 wrote:Interesting project, looks like a great find!

The timing side bronze bearing should have a little locating pin in the recess. I can't see it in the photo. Is it there on your bike, or has it fallen out?
It must have been lost by the PO, what is the part number for that? Maybe I'm missing it in the 54 parts book, but I'm not seeing it referenced. Additionally as you can see, someone staked the bushing in.
Confusingly there's no pin shown in '54 parts list diagram, but it's there in the text: "012233 Peg, securing timing side bush."
Here's a picture of a Lightweight bush with the pin in place (not quite the same, but you get the idea...):
IMG_1753.jpg
Ahha, Looking deeper in the hole there I see mine does have peg in it as well.

Otherwise how will
anything get done?