1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cfaber

Re: 1954 18S preservation project (with lots of pictures)

Post by cfaber »

I've gotten some more items checked off the list this week. Got the chain case back on, headlight bucket remounted, timing set, the last of the screws and bolts I needed have arrived.
Image Sadly, quick turn around service for the parts schema only seems to be quick to the point of customs, after that it was about 24 days =)

I'm not sure which direction the nut goes on the top engine mount, it doesn't really matter as it won't be seen, but I tried it both ways and this seemed "more correct"

Same goes for the nut and bolt connecting the mounting bar between the battery and chain case

In this case the wheel bolt was mounted from the bottom side up because it was just easier to get everything back on this way. Again, I'm not sure if this is actually correct or not

Painted the missing bolts for the tool boxes and will be installing these when I take the rear wheel off again to replace the tire as well as running the electrical wiring for the tail and brake light

The bike is starting to look good, except I have to remove the chain case cover again and re-seal it. The Pentex silicone tape I used under the seal didn't seem to do the trick. I could order the new style seal, but I think I'm just going to seal the two halves together with silicone, then the tape, then the outer seal again and hopefully no more drip drip drip.

Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You'd be better off using the seal rather than silicone, especially as you have the early chaincase outer for the B52 which only has the clutch pushrod access. If like most of us you get the usual clutch bedding in issues and have to get in there to reset the spring pressure you'll wish you had the seal. You maybe very lucky and all will be fine, hope it is as the bike is looking very nice.

PS the nuts go the other way up if you really wish to know.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Extended, (sleeve), nuts such as these are conventionally fitted with the cylindrical section innermost, that said I'm not sure you have the correct components. The spares list says all three nuts for the head steady are 000004, a standard nut. The same applies for the nut for the battery carrier stay to chainguard.

A sleeve nut was used on the head steady in later years, could you have ordered the wrong part?

Regards Mick
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

ajscomboman wrote:You'd be better off using the seal rather than silicone, especially as you have the early chaincase outer for the B52 which only has the clutch pushrod access. If like most of us you get the usual clutch bedding in issues and have to get in there to reset the spring pressure you'll wish you had the seal. You maybe very lucky and all will be fine, hope it is as the bike is looking very nice.

Hm.. The entire dome is removable and I have full access to the clutch, at least as far as I can see? I'm thinking over ordering the seal anyways at this point

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Extended, (sleeve), nuts such as these are conventionally fitted with the cylindrical section innermost, that said I'm not sure you have the correct components. The spares list says all three nuts for the head steady are 000004, a standard nut. The same applies for the nut for the battery carrier stay to chainguard.

A sleeve nut was used on the head steady in later years, could you have ordered the wrong part?

Regards Mick
Maybe?

According to amoc-spares 00004 should be the nut that's on there? Does anyone with a '54 18S or G80 with this setup happen to know for sure?

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Mmmm

000004 is a standard 5/16" 26 TPI CEI nut, as illustrated in the 54 twins parts list and used in numerous other places across the AMC range.

AMOC part number 000004G is what I think you should have ordered, at much less cost - don't know where the 'G' comes from or how the sleeve nut gets the 000004 part number but I'm sure an explanation will follow.

At the end of the day the sleeve nuts can be used or you could pick up a few standard 5/16" CEI nuts locally.

Regards Mick
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Mick D wrote:Mmmm

000004 is a standard 5/16" 26 TPI CEI nut, as illustrated in the 54 twins parts list and used in numerous other places across the AMC range.

AMOC part number 000004G is what I think you should have ordered, at much less cost - don't know where the 'G' comes from or how the sleeve nut gets the 000004 part number but I'm sure an explanation will follow.

At the end of the day the sleeve nuts can be used or you could pick up a few standard 5/16" CEI nuts locally.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. Sadly for me, there is no local pick up for any BSF nuts or bolts, it's all ordered. I might actually have some of the standard nuts in my spares pile, I'll check and see, otherwise I'll just take the sleeve off with the lathe =)

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

cfaber wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:You'd be better off using the seal rather than silicone, especially as you have the early chaincase outer for the B52 which only has the clutch pushrod access. If like most of us you get the usual clutch bedding in issues and have to get in there to reset the spring pressure you'll wish you had the seal. You maybe very lucky and all will be fine, hope it is as the bike is looking very nice.

Hm.. The entire dome is removable and I have full access to the clutch, at least as far as I can see? I'm thinking over ordering the seal anyways at this point
I would recommend the modified T shapped chain case oil seal I have just fitted one to my g80 when rebuilding the engine No oil leaks at all
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

cfaber wrote:

Sorry my mistake, it must be a reflection as it appears that the dome has a pushrod access.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Mmmm

Regards Mick

It appears that it is a historical cock up! The plain nut should be 000004 and the deeper twin head nut 000004G. I'll get that corrected.