Tyres

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
paumass

Tyres

Post by paumass »

Last year I purchased a M18 and I'm looking to renovate it over the Christmas holiday. At the moment it has a set of knackered Avon Speedmaster Mk2s on it. What are people fitting as I've heard mixed reviews on these. Does it have the same size tyre on the front and rear as this does at the moment.
leswaller

Re: Tyres

Post by leswaller »

Mitas Mitas Mitas every time. Cheap good wearing and sticky
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Paul.
It may not be critical in this case but it would be handy to know the year of your M18 (maybe add it to your Profile?).
Most road bikes have 3.25 x 19 front and 3.50 (or 4.00 if there's room between the s/arms) x 19 rear. Mitas are fine and look in keeping with an old bike. In the past I have used Avon Skidmaster front and Dunlop K70 rear.

BTW- I guess you know not to follow the recommended pressures in the original Owners Manual. I use around 24psi front and rear or 26/28 rear with a pillion or loaded with camping gear. Other opinions are available.

Original manuals for your bike can be found here::

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
paumass

Post by paumass »

Great thanks. It's a 1955 M18 in really nice unmolested original condition.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've put a 3.25x19 Speedmaster on the front and a 3.50x19 SM on the rear. Classic tread patterns with modern soft rubber compound. Works for me.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
paumass

Post by paumass »

I'd quite like something that looks classic
raffles

Post by raffles »

Mitas for me half the price handle beautifully only two thirds of the mileage of Avon or Dunlop BUT price per mile YOU DO THE MATHS.
Tony
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Paul, I use 3.25 x 19 Avon Speedmaster and 3.50 x 19 SM front and back, at 28 and 30 psi, respectively (tyre pressures recommended by Avon) on my '54 18S and G80S. They are very good and, given that they are the only connection with the road, it's worth spending a bit more for what I believe is the among best. Given that our bikes are worth in excess of £3,000 and we, for instance, often spend many hundreds on paintwork, why scrimp on the only things between us and gravel rash? Incidentally, tyres age as well as wear out (most of us only do a couple of thousand miles/year max) and it is recommended to replace them at least every 10 years irrespective of wear. Hope this helps, Andy
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes I also usually go for the Avon Skidmasters, just bought a set from Vintage tyres. £112 the pair delivered. I've also had mitas £79 per pair delivered from Pneus (online). I also use 28F and 30R. The Mitas are OK but I feel better with Avon, don't know why.
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Avon Roadriders for me, they always have a bit more to offer, however it is quite difficult to buy a bad tyre these days.