Into and a couple of questions

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ScottyApps

Into and a couple of questions

Post by ScottyApps »

Hi all,

First timer here. I'm in Australia and I've just inherited my grandfather's AJS 18S. He used to race them back in the fifties. He'd restored it about ten years ago and since then it's been sitting in a family members shed unloved until now.

Anyway, I've got a couple of questions I'm hoping you folks may be able to help me with.

Firstly, it's got a pre-monobloc carb and it's leaking like a mongrel. Does anyone know where I can find a guide on how to rebuild it? I couldn't find anything using Google or YouTube.

Also, the bung that's welded into the bottom of the Petrol tank that the Petrol tap screws in to has been stripped of thread. Looks like someone might've overtightened the Petrol tap. Are these replaceable? My other option is to drill it out and tap it for a larger brass sleeve but I'd rather replace it if possible.

No doubt I'll be on here many times in the near future!

Cheers
Scotty
Rob Harknett

Re: Into and a couple of questions

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Scotty, Welcome to the forum. Do not forget you have a time limited free access to the forum. It may be worth joining our club. You will find Amal infor here; http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Carburation/
Perhaps the club has parts / gaskets etc. to stop the leaks. Not sure if you could hellicoil the gas type thread in your tank. There is one each side of the tank. L/H being the reserve tap. Experts may be along to offer more help about the damaged thread.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Fuel taps are available in several thread types / sizes - I'd investigate boring out and re-tapping the tank to suit a larger threaded tap.

Regards Mick
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Hi Scotty. If you decide to tap a larger thread I've got a Ewarts tap with a 3/8" BSP thread that you are welcome to. I bought it by mistake some time ago and it's just been sitting in the shed. Just PM me your address. Cheers. Bruce.

Edit: I've just noticed you're in Australia. You're still welcome to the tap for the cost of postage!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScottyApps

Post by ScottyApps »

Thanks anyway Thornebt but mines a slide type tap.

Thanks for the advice from the rest of you. I've ordered an oversized tap this morning. That's a much easier option than trying to fit a sleeve.

I've also ordered the Carb kit so I'll rebuild it when it gets here.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Cheers