Feked exhaust

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
OEW591

Re: Feked exhaust

Post by OEW591 »

Janet is correct about VAT being charged in Austria. If you are VAT registered in the UK you could provide your UK VAT number to avoid Austrian VAT But would need to account for EC Acquisition Tax on your UK VAT return. If the goods are then put to a non-business use you would not be able to claim this back as input tax. It could be marginally cheaper to do this depending on the Austrian VAT rate compared to the 20% rate in the UK.
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

It now looks as if the Feked pipe may have been correct fo the year and model.
The Armours pipe (via Austria) arrived today.
I tried it on the bike without removing the spiral wrapping, and a deep sense of gloom descended.
Its just as wrong as the one from Feked.
So if both pipes supplied for a '47 G80 do not fit my bike, in just the same way,maybe my '47 G80 dosn't have a '47 head ?
I gather that the '49 iron head has a different pipe but that has hairpin valve springs (Am I right on that?)
My cylinder head, deffinitely coil valve springs, has its exhaust stub angled downwards at about 30 degrees, as best as I can measure.
If the pipes I have tried on it to fit, the stub would have to be at a shallower angle to the horizontal.
Could somebody with a '46-'48 G80 measure the angle of their exaust as it leaves the head ? this could at least help decide things.
And if anybody can explain what year would fit, I would be most grateful indeed.
At least the old pipe is servicable, if not pretty, so I will be able to get it on the road without a new pipe.
Anybody want an Armours pipe for a '47 ? still in its wrappings !
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Mine is a '47 Model 18, iron head with exhaust spigot and coil springs. I'll try and measure the angle at which the pipe leaves the head this evening. My pipe is tatty and was on the bike when I bought it 17 years ago but has no slits cut into it to fit over the spigot and doesn't use a clamp. As far as I'm aware, that is as original. I'll check but I don't think the bracket is welded on. I think the bracket is separate and fits over a stud welded on the pipe and the lower engine bolt.
The head is a replacement due to a damaged rocker cover "hole" (what's the correct term for where the bolts screw into the head?) but is identical with the one that was on the bike when I bought it.
I assume you want the angle from horizontal?
All the best
Mark
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Feked are in Dorset, not that far from you - would taking the old pipe to them to match be an option?

Regards Mick
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Thanks for that.
Yes both the new and old pipes have stud welded on to fix the bracke to the front of the bottom frame rails.
I have just been refitting the old pipe. deffinitely a differet curve at the front.
In case anybody asks, its a 47/G80L engine mark. Not that, that means it has a '47 head on it.

I'll wait until the bikes running before going to see Feked, as then I can ride over on it and try pipes on it, maybe even go on down to Armours and see if anything there fits.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

As far as I can measure it, the exhaust stub is at an angle of about 25 degrees from the horizontal. The bike is on its rear stand so the bike is higher at the back but, hopefully, 25 degrees is near enough.
Good luck with trying to get a better pipe. After a bad experience with Armours in the '70s, I wouldn't use them, but have been thinking of using Feked for replacement pipes for my twin so may have to think again and stick with rusty/tarnished pipes!
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

That sounds a likely difference to account for the pipe not fitting on my bike.
I used a bevel gauge, taking the head fins as horizontal and a 5 degree difference at the exhaust stub would match the approx 15 degree upward run of the bottom run of the pipe.
So if that isthe actual difference, what model has that steeper exhaust stum angle ?