Project status: disassembled

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Project status: disassembled

Post by Pharisee »

Had to admit, I used a 'universal' assembly tool that I bought when I rebuilt my Tiger 90.
With the G3, I assembled the stanchions into the bottom yoke using a length of steel tube with the assembly tool and pulled them up until they were in approximately the correct position. The forks were then assembled to the frame and the top yoke put on.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Bob - you do seem to have a need to slag off other peoples solutions though, which was your very first opening contribution to this thread. You could have just posted your solution but no, you chose to have ago. I don't give a flying cherry tomato suffering from blight how many years ago you came up with your over engineered solution. Don't criticize people if you can't take the response. Now I suggest this "mine is bigger than yours" antics is left there and we leave this thread for useful info.

Post by 1608 »

Here we go again, an over-reaction to an innocuous comment, seemingly because its in print. If the same was said in a face to face conversation no offence would be taken. And, its rather presumptuous to claim the last word on the matter and attempt to close the thread.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Play nicely boys or I'll lock out the thread.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sorry if I'm insulting your engineering intelligence but when you're trying to dis-assemble the steering head you need to loosen the locknut, (the smaller of the two), first. One way of doing this in extremis is to tighten the larger, (adjusting), nut slightly, (just to get things moving). Only tighten it a few degrees otherwise you'll risk damaging the bearings or thread.

In applications such as this I find it much easier to use open ended spanners as they transmit the torque in the desired plane - something sockets and ring spanners do not do.

Good luck

Mick
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

1608 - you crack me up :rofl: with the "petrol on a bonfire" post - nice try you rascal but it didn't work. :beer:

Post by 1608 »

I want to have the last word on this :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

OK yes you can have the last word :rofl:
Roy
rcousine

Post by rcousine »

Triumph-Legend wrote:Hi Guys, Just noticed! The peg on the swinging arm that stops the rear brake plate rotating looks a bit odd in the picture. Might be worth checking when refitting the rear wheel assembly. Not a big deal as there is another brake at the front if needed. Hmm, second look,58 bike, so different securing peg arrangement to the earlier bikes? I'm probably talking rubbish here, but check any way. Better safe eh.
Why did you take the bike to bits? A quick wipe with an oily rag with maybe a bit of WD40 usually sorts out most known faults on these bikes.
Have fun with the bike and remember the golden rule. JUST NAIL IT!!!!
Wow, that number plate/rear light mount on the ally rear guard looks pants. Ah well, different folks etc.
Answering a few of these questions:

Aside from “because we can!”, the answer to disassembly was we needed to fix several known issues. One was the broken trans case, so the transmission had to come out. Another was a bent fork, so the fork had to come out. And the tank needed to be repainted, and that meant matching the oil tank, so those had to come out. And the seat needed reupholstering, so that had to come out.

And it was good form to pull the motor to make sure the top end was ok, and to sort out a carb issue, and at that point it seemed a shame not to powered coat the frame since we were this far in...and so on.

I don't know about the brake mount, But we found a botched replacement foot peg hanger, so we decided to remove it and we are creating a replacement (if anyone needs a new foot peg mount to braze onto their frame, we can probably provide the file to plug into your CNC mill...)

Rear fender: neither fender is original of course; the plate holder has the lamp lens off, so it may look a bit odd.

Thanks for the suggestions about the forks: we have them off the bike, but still need to rebuild them.
1958 AJS 18 CS (a work in regress)
Ongoing rebuild photos: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B16GWZuqDGvT59n
rcousine

Re: Project status: disassemble

Post by rcousine »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Sorry if I'm insulting your engineering intelligence but when you're trying to dis-assemble the steering head you need to loosen the locknut, (the smaller of the two), first. One way of doing this in extremis is to tighten the larger, (adjusting), nut slightly, (just to get things moving). Only tighten it a few degrees otherwise you'll risk damaging the bearings or thread.

In applications such as this I find it much easier to use open ended spanners as they transmit the torque in the desired plane - something sockets and ring spanners do not do.

Good luck

Mick
I wish you were insulting our intelligence! I found this info in the reference material eventually, but was surprised. A 33 mm socket and an impact driver finally took the nut off, but it looks like the threads on the steerer are badly damaged, so there's another thing to order...
1958 AJS 18 CS (a work in regress)
Ongoing rebuild photos: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B16GWZuqDGvT59n