clutch basket "end play"

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

clutch basket "end play"

Post by StephenG80 »

on a '54 G80 how much end play should there be in the clutch basket (not the hub - that nicely tight with no discernible end play). With everything tightened up I've got about 0.5mm - ( I am replacing a primary drive chain that came a part (don't ask) and just noticed the end play). I've got the correct thin and thick washers either side of the roller bearings.
zwarts

Re: clutch basket "end play"

Post by zwarts »

That doesn't sound too bad, 20thou in old money. You do have the correct rollers in? Burman are unusual in using rollers of an odd size and it is the length of the rollers which control the end float of the sprocket/basket assembly. The correct rollers are 0.250" die. X 0.235" long. They are still easily available.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks Zwarts - yes, I have got right size in. I thought would just check re the end float as I did not notice it when I fitted it. Feeling reassured :beer:
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Correction to my previous post. The end float is of course determined by the width of the inner bearing race, not the length of the rollers - provided they are the correct items!