My bike hates me!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

My bike hates me!

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again, just got back from three weeks in the Dordogne. 1st the paint on my bike has gone weird. Never mind that can be cured. I'm now convinced that the bike hates me. I stripped the carb down and cleaned it in the wife's ultrasonic jewellery cleaner. Altered the plug and mucked about with the gaps. Changed the gas tap and pipe arrangement. It fires but goes bah bah bah bah stop not broom broom. Is this eight stroking and what is it and how do I cure it. I have a thorspark fitted which appears to be doing what it should. Got to confess I'm at my wits ends now.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
dave16mct

Re: My bike hates me!

Post by dave16mct »

Forgotten where we were up to....Have you got good compression, tappets set right? Timed on the correct stroke? Is the fuel getting through to the plug, ie is the plug wet? What plug have you got, I'd go for a Champion N5c. Have you timed the cams correctly to the book?
Dave.
spookefoote1956

Methinks I may have it sorted. My mate popped round and we checked the valve timing. It appeared that one valve was opening as the other was closing, doh! Re set them with inlet on dot 2 and exhaust on 1 as per 1956. Just sent for another gasket so watch this space.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

8 stroke = too rich. Check your float level (and jet block gasket!)...
Last edited by clanger9 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Methinks I may have it sorted. My mate popped round and we checked the valve timing. It appeared that one valve was opening as the other was closing, doh! Re set them with inlet on dot 2 and exhaust on 1 as per 1956. Just sent for another gasket so watch this space.
Suck squeeze bang puff suck squeeze bang puff etc

The inlet valve must open as the exhaust closes because induction will always follow the exhaust stroke.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Does your bike still hate you Spookefoote1956 - we are all in suspense here - please update :-)
spookefoote1956

Sorry for the lack of responses. The paint work had gone mental so I've been trying to address that. I realised that I had set the valve timing wrong and not got the inlet on dot 2 and the exhaust on dot 1 which meant that the exhaust valve was opening before the inlet had completely closed. It also makes me Knobby of the Week. As such the gasket for the timing cover has arrived and I ordered some new stainless allens for the casing which were supposed to arrive today. Hopefully they will tomorrow and all should be well.

Next job will be to convince Footman James to insure the beast. Does the complete front end count as one change to originality. Does the disc brake constitute a major improvement to road safety. Why does spray paint not do exactly what it says on the tin?

All this and more will be answered soon!
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Was the paint you used Hammerite? I have heard that there are problems with the modern paint, not like it used to be years ago.
spookefoote1956

No. It was Ford Midnight Blue purchased from Halfords. A suitable filler primer was applied followed by colour then acrylic lacquer. Wait a few weeks then weird edging patterns appear causing great delight and the occasional swear word. Now I'm going to end up having to get it sprayed by a pro. Personally I thought I'd done a lovely job but hey, that's life.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I have had problems with Halfords acrylic paint seemingly separating and leaving deep edging groves, I have bought old stock Holts paint from Kempton and that seems to be ok.