Dynamo chain from club spares & primary chain - G80s '54

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

Dynamo chain from club spares & primary chain - G80s '54

Post by StephenG80 »

Hi - couple of Q :-) :

i. The current dynamo chain on my bike is 52 links, but I must have counted wrong as this length is not one listed on the club spares (these are 47,49,50) :rofl: So what is the standard length of dynamo chain for my bike? and also in the photo on the club spares page they seem to be endless! - but I think these are for illustration only. Are they supplied with split links?

ii. Can't see a primary drive chain listed on the club spares page, is there one?. I am thinking of going up to 52 tooth primary drive sprocket. So should I still go for a 68link chain?

Thanks for any info :-)
Rob Harknett

Re: Dynamo chain from club spares & primary chain - G80s '54

Post by Rob Harknett »

Dynamo chain should be 49 links according to the parts list, I have always found them endless on all my bikes. Engine sprocket 21 teeth. You sure you are thinking of making that 52.?
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

AHHH no - I meant 22 for the sprocket :-)

I have the BMS&C Ltd copy of the parts book for 1954 and could not find a dyno chain listed - which page did you find it on in the list?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

All chains are shown at the beginning of the gearbox/transmission section.
For '54 dynamo chain is shown as 49 links (017296).
Dynamo & magneto chains were always endless.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is a note in the parts list stating mag and dynamo chains are endless. Not sure if there are different editions of parts lists. I find chains at the top of page 19. The section is headed CHAINS. BMS often re numbered pages in their copies
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

You'll find the primary (front) chains in section J1 on the spares website.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Searching chains does not seem to find them Stu. You need to click on gearbox, clutch & chain case, then click J1. then you can see the primary chain listed.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Entering the word "chain" (singular) brings up 6 pages of parts with "chain" in their name.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

thanks everyone - due to my browser setting the search box at the bottom of the parts screen was not showing - doh! makes life a whole lot easier!!!! -

Couple of more Q

i. I am putting in a 22 tooth engine sprocket so, will I need a slightly longer primary drive chain or is there sufficient slack in the spacing adjustment between the gearbox and the engine to accommodate this change?

ii. I cannot find any torque rating anywhere for things like nut for engine sprocket, dynamo sprocket and also clutch hub - any recommendations for what these should be? what do others tighten these to?

Thanks

Stephen
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Question of torque settings keep coming up. Like many others I have never owned a torque wrench in my 60 + years motor cycling. Just used tools as supplied in the bike tool kits. With the exception of special AMC tools and socket sets. If a torque wrench is used. Unless you get it tested each time its used, how do you know its correct ??
I think I may have used too many words searching for the front chain Stu. I have to get out of the habit of referring to it as primary chain.
As to using std length chain and non std engine sprocket. Gear box and adjuster, plus rear wheel adjuster, brake anchor and brake rod, would all need to change adjustment. I cannot see the need to change the sprocket, just to ride the bike for the pleasure of a few runs.