is it easy to restore a G80 ?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Voisot Marc.

Post by Voisot Marc. »

help me please!
i'm ready to buy an 1955's G80 for 900£.
but it is a very bad estate one.
the motor is not running, the cycle is 90 % complete.
my questions are : is it realistic or not (regarding the price i can purchase it) ?
Is it easy to find spaes for a G80 ?
I really love the matchless machines, but it is the first time i contact a club. is there a club life in here ?
I really hope so
friendly yours
marc
ps excuse my english but I'm a froggy.
Lars Johansen.

Post by Lars Johansen. »

It's easier to find parts for G80 than it is for a
20 year old japanese bike. Go ahead, I have restored my 1954 G80s.
Rohan B.

Post by Rohan B. »

Marc,
Most parts are available for the G80 - mechanical parts are usually available new and are not very expensive. The Club spares scheme has a lot of parts, and Russel Motors and Hamrax in London keep some spares. They were a very popular model and sold by the many thousands, so tinwear is reasonably common in a used condition. I don't know about in France, but in England you see quite a lot of AMC parts at swapmeets (autojumbles, car boot sales).

Be warned though that to get a really correct restoration, you need to get a parts list for your bike. Matchless changed a lot of parts over the years, and it is easy to buy the wrong part, because it looks like it will fit. I restored my 1949 AJS Model 18 from about 40% complete. Finding bits to fit was easy, finding all the right bits took a lot longer. After 20+ years, I found the correct tail-light on Sunday !!! I'm sure you can buy them somewhere, but I didn't find where..

This forum doesn't show much of what the AJS/Matchless club does, but I think they have club runs, etc ?? France was a big market for AJS/Matchless, so there must be other owners there too ??

cheers,
Rohan.
sunny Australia, where 1950s AJS/Matchless were the best selling model.
silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Bonjour Marc,

Contactez Jean Paul Altayrac a 4 Rue de Labergement, 21130 Auxonne, Telephon (33) 80 37 47 23.

Jean c'est un bon ami qui aussi le representative de Club AJS&Matchless en France.

Regards,

Les Smith (Angleterre)
Keep smiling