Sealing a Burman gearbox.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Sealing a Burman gearbox.

Post by Pharisee »

Just a simple question... Do you guys use a gasket to seal the outer cover on the Burman gearbox or is it preferable to seal it "metal to metal" with something like 'ThreeBond' (HondaBond, WhateverBond) ?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Re: Sealing a Burman gearbox.

Post by ajscomboman »

Gasket and Hylomar Blue, some use gasket and grease depends on how good the casings are.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Never had the opportunity to seal a Burman box but if it ever occurs I'll use a gasket and Wellseal.

Regards Mick
REW

Post by REW »

Gasket and grease - just done one and it is fine. Surfaces were good tho (see Rob's comment)
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:Gasket and Hylomar Blue, some use gasket and grease depends on how good the casings are.
That's exactly what I did but it leaked so I've taken it apart again. This time, I've painted ThreeBond onto both joint faces with a small artist brush and put it together again. That's always worked for me on Triumph aluminium primary chain cases so I though I'd give it a go on the Burman gearbox.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Gasket and Hylomar Blue, some use gasket and grease depends on how good the casings are.
That's exactly what I did but it leaked so I've taken it apart again. This time, I've painted ThreeBond onto both joint faces with a small artist brush and put it together again. That's always worked for me on Triumph aluminium primary chain cases so I though I'd give it a go on the Burman gearbox.
The cases were bad then. Not that unusual on Burman cases, I had 2 that did the same and had to strip them and face them off. Even after doing that 1 still had a small weep so I changed from oil to semi-fluid grease and all the issues went away.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote: The cases were bad then. Not that unusual on Burman cases, I had 2 that did the same and had to strip them and face them off. Even after doing that 1 still had a small weep so I changed from oil to semi-fluid grease and all the issues went away.
They weren't good. It was obvious that a previous keeper had used a screwdriver or something similar to prise the outer cover off at sometime in the past. I cleaned them up as best I could before using the ThreeBond. I'm pretty confident that it won't leak now. One of the joys of bringing a 60 year old box of bits back to life!!

Post by 1608 »

It may be worth filling any damage to the joint faces with something like JB weld first. Sometimes if too thicker gasket/goo etc is used on the Burman box then a shim is needed btn the selector shaft bush and the outer case to compensate. Makes gear selection much cleaner.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I've got a leaky box and was thinking of using oneshot http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-SW ... XCC4wbgIHQ has anyone else tried this in a gear box? :?:
david pollard

Post by david pollard »

if its any help i always use castrol spherol semi fluid grease in g/boxes that have rollers/ball races, do NOT use in boxes that have needle rollers, ie, rudge etc, david