Wet sumping

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Chris Berry

Re: Wet sumping

Post by Chris Berry »

Thanks Clive,
I did pull the locating pin apart to look at it but was mindful of how it went together. Having read your comments abut the '51' engine I am also comfortable that I have fitted the correct pin. I have noticed that the pump output with the new pump is the same as with the old one prior to rebuilding the engine. Is it possible for oil to 'syphon' down through the pump if it is in a certain position. This would be the only explanation that I can think of. This morning when I checked the sump there was no oil in it and the level in the tank had not dropped. I will check it again tomorrow morning. In the mean time I will continue my endeavours to prevent the primary chain from rubbing on the chain case (another ongoing problem). I think the chain case inner is slightly buckled and keeps rubbing on the chain.

Thanks once again Clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Has your chain case inner got an inverted L bracket at the back ? My 55 has, it bolts onto the bottom of the battery carrier on my 55G3LS. Which a PO had used a small nut and bolt. Should be a counter sunk head screw and nut. So the battery sits flat on the carrier base. My little 1936 AJS did not have that bracket, the chain had actually worn through the chain case, which was twisted. I twisted it back fairly straight and repaired it with fibre glass. Still OK after 31 years.
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

Rob Harknett wrote:Has your chain case inner got an inverted L bracket at the back ? My 55 has, it bolts onto the bottom of the battery carrier on my 55G3LS. Which a PO had used a small nut and bolt. Should be a counter sunk head screw and nut. So the battery sits flat on the carrier base. My little 1936 AJS did not have that bracket, the chain had actually worn through the chain case, which was twisted. I twisted it back fairly straight and repaired it with fibre glass. Still OK after 31 years.
Thanks Rob,
Gee its great how you guys are willing to help. The inner chain case is mounted by the three bolts on the crank case, the centre bolt going right through crank case and outer chain case and a bolt which connects the chain case to the chain guard. The chain is currently rubbing on the lower rear section behind the clutch. I have played with the spacer in the through bolt and will continue tweaking this. I am also considering making a fixing from the lower rear section of the chain guard onto the gear box mounting bracket or similar to pull this section away from the chain. My chain case has been welded before (before I acquired it) and I think it may be twisted slightly which doesn't help. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

regards
Chris