primary chain case noise

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Slash

primary chain case noise

Post by Slash »

We took the Ajay for its maiden voyage with French plates on. There is an intermittent noise from the primary case, I have tightened the chain to see if that improves things, I wonder if there are any other suggestions as to what might be rubbing or scraping? Possibly the alternator rotor boinking the stator?
SPRIDDLER

Re: primary chain case noise

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Slash wrote:I have tightened the chain to see if that improves things,
Has it ? You *should* have also re-adjusted the drive chain (which will have loosened if you have tightened the primary chain).
Possibly the alternator rotor boinking the stator?
Presumably the noise changes with engine speed?
Does the noise occur when you are stationary (with th'engine running!) or only when going along? It's possible that it's a loose drive chain slapping or rubbing on the chainguard or primary case at the gearbox end and can sound as though it's from inside the primary case. Some drive chains are slightly wider than the originals and leave very little clearance at the primary case/gearbox drive sprocket end.

Be aware that if it is the rotor rubbing on the stator (there's only a couple of thou clearance) I've known them heat up allowing heated toffee-like insulation to weep out and eventually lock th'engine.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
raffles

Re: primary chain case noise

Post by raffles »

If it is the rotor touching the stator, this will show up when stripped down, if that is the case get someone to take 5 thou off the rotor problem solved
Tony