Today I am very cross!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Today I am very cross!

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I was due to fit my fuel tap and fire up the beast for the first time in 24 years. The tap which I bought from a supposedly reputable seller on fleabay decided to shear as it was being inserted. It was not over-tightened I hasten to add. I've managed to drill out most of the meat as it wouldn't tap round with a punch due to being made from a metal only slightly stronger than papier mache.

Now I have to tap out the remainder with a 1/4 bsp tap, thoroughly clean out the tank then fit another one putting me back another week.

I feel better now I've let off some steam!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Re: Today I am very cross!

Post by Rob Harknett »

Wow ! I have never had or heard of a petrol tap breaking. I have seen the rivet pull on push off type disc's come off. But I would not buy those. You cannot screw them to expand the cork when it wears. Had I been about when it broke, would I have been able to add any words of frustration to my vocabulary?
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

I had a repro tap on my 1938 Triumph break in half when one of my tank mounts came loose and the tap was vibrating against the copper line. That tap was also made of some crappy weak metal.

My advice is to use a brass original one and refurbish it if you need to.

If you are interested there are some pictures of the broken tap over on the AMCA forum, look in the projects section for 1938 Triumph

John
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That is becoming more and more of a problem nowadays. You must be the 4th person I know of that this has happened to, the others being Triumph and Norton owners.
spookefoote1956

tap.jpg
Here's the offending item.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I had tap "issues" recently and got a pair of push/pull slide taps of these folk. Beautifully made, very smooth and bullet proof - they also make ones which would replace the ones that sheared on you I think (see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-TANK-T ... s-F4mCjkNA) I would recommend them. hope you get it sorted. 8-)
Janet

Post by Janet »

spookefoote1956 wrote:
tap.jpg
Here's the offending item.
That looks like the style of tap generally fitted to '70's Japanese bikes, with a small lever. If so, it's made of some sort of metal that isn't brass. I've nevrr had any problem with mine but then they were made over 40 years ago, so could have been better quality.

Regarding new taps breaking off when fitting, add Glyn to the list. He had it happen a few years back when fitting some to his Bonneville but I put it down to operator error and excessive force. They were brass but new, so perhaps not made to 'proper' standards.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:That is becoming more and more of a problem nowadays. You must be the 4th person I know of that this has happened to, the others being Triumph and Norton owners.
Never 'appened before they added ethanol :twisted:

I believe that most modern (fuel injected) bikes have a vacuum operated petrol valve so there's no need make a tap strong enough to withstand twiddling.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

The advert said as used on BSA and Triumph.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

If your fuel tank is of the original type it would have 1/8" BSP threaded bosses for the taps, not 1/4" BSP. Did you check to see if the replacement fuel tap had the correct thread to match up with your tank? I doubt this has anything to do with the tap breaking as it appears to be made of some strange material which I don't recognise ie. not brass. Just something to be aware of!