My G80 Rigid Wet Sumping Solution

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Iron Head

My G80 Rigid Wet Sumping Solution

Post by Iron Head »

Based on some excellent ideas posted on the forum, here is my solution to my '48 G80 rigid wet sumping situation.

Have purchased a 1/4" BSP plumbing brass drain plug for the princely sum of £1.30 and tapped through the 10mm hex drive with a 6mm hole. The hole accepts a 6mm socket cap screw end drilled through to the head and cross-drilled so that when loosened a couple of turns oil flows (see photos). Before starting all that is required is to tighten the cap screw and off you go. The allen key sits nicely in the end of the throttle grip as the reminder to 'tighten up' before start-up.

One interesting observation is that wet-sumping appears to rely on some form of uninterrupted syphonic oil path as there has been zero oil from the sump with the plug removed for two days since it was emptied - just my observation so far.

Iron Head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expat

Re: My G80 Rigid Wet Sumping Solution

Post by Expat »

A good engineered solution. Think I read somewhere here that the position of the pump plunger when it stops has a bearing on oil getting by into the sump.

I always try to remember after switching off, to turn ignition on and operate kickstart by hand while holding ex valve open until ammeter indicates zero discharge, i.e. cb points have opened and valves are closed, relaxing the springs and hopefully placing the oil pump plunger in the best position.

All good advice gleaned here from the wisdom of the collective....if I understood it correctly :D :D

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
neil cairns

Re: My G80 Rigid Wet Sumping Solution

Post by neil cairns »

Neither of my two 18S wet-sump, but my G12 does it for England, so it has an oil tap.....