mag timing - does this sound about right?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
shifter

Re: mag timing - does this sound about right?

Post by shifter »

Just to put my little bit in my 1951 model 20 starts easy with the AR lever retarded just a little say I/4 turn or less then runs and ticks over very nice on full advance no need to move the lever at all when riding normally or stationery at lights.
?
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

My 18S is a contrary little woman. From stone cold she will only start on full advance. Until she's warmed up retarding the ignition just leads to her spluttering to a halt. She does kick back every now and again just to let me know who's boss. Contrariwise once good and hot the tickover is too fast unless I retard the ignition.

If I tune the carb for a really sweet tickover she wont start from cold at all as she wont start with the throttle open so it has to be a rather quick tickover. Maybe this will sort itself once she's fully run in.

However once warm she runs sweet just a little bit of retard if pulling hard up hill.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

well - it was spot on. Took her out and intended to just go up to the village shop for a block of cheese - about a 1/4 mile round trip - 40 miles later the cheese arrived home. Happy days. :beer: