petrol tank taps 1954 G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

Re: petrol tank taps 1954 G80

Post by StephenG80 »

That makes sense re tunnel and tank effectively splitting into two by default once the fuel has got to a certain level - bit obvious when you think about it -doh! - I think I'll go rh main lh reserve. With new taps now all ordered - soon be back on the road :beer:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I believe both sides of the tank will trap fuel once the level drops below the central tunnel and as neither of my taps has a tube fitted which would make it the main feed I decided to make the LH tap the reserve, for the reason that I don't have to release the throttle to switch it on, (I like my throttle to close when released).

I got my taps from AMC Classic - Teflon seals

Regards Mick
AMC made the tanks to trap 1/2 gallon on the left. Maybe not all. Both sides will trap a little. Hence the old tip if you run out of petrol. Push the bike up a slope so petrol drains down to the taps. You may get a couple of carbs full, to get you a mile to a garage.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Also if you are running on one tap then tip the bike to that side to drain the fuel into that lobe of the fuel tank. This will give you at least 5 miles
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
REW

Post by REW »

But in the end, you push it home. They are not called heavyweight singles for nothing, don't ask how I know...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The book also tells you to fill up promptly if you ever have to use reserve. Failure to do that, may result in you not having the 1/2 gal. trapped on the left side. If your tank looks very low. Lay the bike over heavily to the left to fill the left side. You may then find the petrol you could see in the right side, now seen as empty.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

which book is that Rob?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stephen G80 wrote:which book is that Rob?
Quite a few I am sure. 1954 Matchless singles instruction book perhaps? Is that for your bike? Turn to page 9.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.06.04_20h40m53s_001_.png
Note also, the bike usually has two taps. The tank can then be removed without draining it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Slightly surprised no one has given the obvious reason for using the left hand tap as the reserve. When you open the petrol cap to check the level you can only see the right hand side of the tank. If this is the reserve side you will not be able to tell when the other side is running even lower.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks for posting the extract Rob. That makes a lot of sense Clive.

:beer:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Slightly surprised no one has given the obvious reason for using the left hand tap as the reserve. When you open the petrol cap to check the level you can only see the right hand side of the tank. If this is the reserve side you will not be able to tell when the other side is running even lower.
Maybe why my comment about the disappearing petrol may not had made sense Clive. If you have less than 1/2 gallon in the tank, not all trapped. You could lean the bike over to the left. The tank will then be seen empty.