Layshaft bushes..cp

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Druncle

Layshaft bushes..cp

Post by Druncle »

Mornin all..
Since buying my motorcycle shaped collection of model 18 bits, I have ended up doing a bit of a 'grandads axe' project with the aim of getting a decent roadbike as a conclusion. Couple of weeks ago, took the gearbox out, due, amongst other things to a pronounced whine in second. The internals generally seem ok, but i have noticed a degree of wear in the bushes which sit on the layshaft, and have gears on them. My questions are..
What would you do about this :?
I cant seem to find a supplier of these bushes..one source said you needed to buy a complete layshaft at around 300 quid.
Big bro said he could try and machine bushes, however oilite apparently is not the easiest to turn.
Has anyone any suggestions before i go out and buy an MZ?
Cheers John.
Rob Harknett

Re: Layshaft bushes..cp

Post by Rob Harknett »

My old 36 AJS gearbox whines a lot, its an age thing, has not stopped me riding it for 30 years, we both wine a lot now..
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Which wine does the bike prefer Rob? Red or white 😜😜
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Draganfly stock CP gearbox bits. I've ordered bits from them several times and I've always found them to be a tip top supplier. If they have no stock of something, they will move around in the background to eventually find it. For example, I needed a gear selector plate for a B52 box which no-one stocked and I put it on back order at Draganfly and a few weeks later it arrived.

THere's been a few posts on the forum recently on fitting gearbox bushes and reaming etc., basically it's not hard to do.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

leswaller wrote:Which wine does the bike prefer Rob? Red or white 😜😜
You spotted my deliberate typo Les.
Druncle

Post by Druncle »

Yeah, have spoken to the very helpful Draganfly who had nothing in stock...im not sure now after looking at parts diagrams, whether the bushes come attached to layshaft (as iirc russels informed me).. will keep searching 😧
Just wondered if any one else had been in this situation !
Cheers all, I'm off to open a bottle .
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I assume that the CP 'box is similar to the B52. The bushes in the B52 are a press fit in the cogs, and a running fit on both layshaft and mainshaft. I have had one come loose in a cog, but a dab of loctite fixed that. These bearings do not take much load and can wear to up to around 6 thou without real problems. It is unlikely that they have worn that much, and is is unlikely that the shaft is worn enough to warrant replacement. If the bushes are badly worn and you can't get replacements, any competent machine shop could make new ones a lot cheaper than £300! Andy