B52 Gearbox - Gear the wrong way round

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

B52 Gearbox - Gear the wrong way round

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Burman Gearbox.gif
Hello again. I am having a little issue with by GB gearbox. This delightful exploded view from the lovely people at Draganfly shows Gear 3648-52 with the five holes facing outwards. I am convinced that it should be facing the other way as the holes should be able to mesh with the five bumps on the gear behind it 3652-52.

So am I right or wrong as I don't want to chuck a gasket and goo on just to have to rip it off again.

Cheers and safe riding, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Re: B52 Gearbox - Gear the wrong way round

Post by clive »

First comment, the illustrated gearbox is for an ariel, It has a different case and the fittings for a gearbox mounted speedo drive. Second comment If the holes don't go all the way through then yes they have to be able to engage with the sliding gear.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

From memory, the holes in that gear go all the way through. The gear is recessed on the other side and the mating gear (3652-52) sits partially inside the recess when the gears are meshed. You can just make out the recess in this photo.

[EDIT]... Thinking about it a bit more. The holes don't go all the way through, they are blind holes drilled from the recessed side for the mating gear.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Clean off the gear, there will be 'witness' marks, (wear), which will indicate which way it was assembled in use.

Regards Mick