Oil spitting out!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
PetrusAJS

Oil spitting out!

Post by PetrusAJS »

Hi,

Hoping someone can assist me with how to fix this oil problem.
My AJS Model 18 1963 it spitting out oil from the chain case.

Please see these videos of what is happening:
Video 1:
Video 2:

Maybe it's a common problem but please help me with any advice.

Kind Regards,
Petrus
Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory!
g80csp11

Re: Oil spitting out!

Post by g80csp11 »

looks like the crankcase pressure relief valve is blocked
check out spares list for your engine and other useful links here
http://archives.jampot.dk/
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Are you sure it's spitting out the chain case. Looks like it's coming out the crank case breather to me. Remove the little bit of pipe, diaphragm body & diaphragm. It may just need cleaning. Ignore the old pt. no's in the pic. Use new pt. no's to get new parts, 000835 & 000836
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.04.06_19h37m55s_001_.png
I believe the club have new diaphragm's in stock. Not body's. Looks like someone else has the same thoughts as myself. You will probably get a small amount of oil mist from the breather pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PetrusAJS

Post by PetrusAJS »

It seems like its coming from the engine side into the chain case, then the chain case gets flooded and the oil escapes from the cable hole.
See attached photograph of where it spews out with descriptions.
leak.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Could be you are sumping oil while the bike stands, Is the chain case over full of oil.? Oil could be entering via main bearings, over filling the chaincase. Drain the sump, drain the chain case, refill chain case and oil tank to correct levels. The engine would need to run a few minutes to refill the sump to the correct level, before oil returns to the oil tank. Oil should stop spurting out now. If after standing it starts spurting out again, and oil tank level has dropped. Check the chain case to see if its over full with oil seeping through bearings. You may want to fit a tap to turn off oil when the bike is standing, to stop oil sumping etc..
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:....... You may want to fit a tap to turn off oil when the bike is standing, to stop oil sumping etc..
There again you may not when you know the number of people who have wrecked an engine forgeting to turn it on, I now know at least 5. Don't leave it on the side stand and start it regularly its a safer option.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I just let mine sump Clive. When standing for ages, oil in the engine is doing more good than in the tank. I have fitted a twin with a tap.
Just a thought, do some people kick their bike for ages, not being able to start it. Then start investigating why, taking things apart. Then suddenly remember you do need to turn the petrol on. Do they never check oil and petrol levels, and oil return. Standard procedure you should always follow before riding off. Just two caps to remove to know you have oil circulating. Also if you soon need petrol.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

It's very clean oil.
only dead fish go with the flow
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

There should be a grommet to seal the cable where it goes through the chain case - I can't see one in your photo, perhaps it is still on the cable inside the chain case or has not been fitted. The grommet will, at least, reduce the problem if not eliminate it, I suggest you investigate inside the chain case.

Regards Mick
PetrusAJS

Post by PetrusAJS »

Thank you guys, your knowledge and experience is priceless!
I will investigate and try out all of above comments, and give some feedback.