Model 18CS tank

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AJS_Chris

Model 18CS tank

Post by AJS_Chris »

Morning all,
I've taken the plunge on an AJS, after 40+ years of motorcycling I now have a bike with an 'advance and retard' lever! The 1951 Model 18S I bought has pretty much been converted to 'C' spec apart from the tank and I'd like to swap this. I know the competition tank is smaller and will reduce range but having looked at CS pictures on the web I think it has to be done. Am I correct in thinking tanks are available in steel and aluminium?
There are manufactures in the UK selling what look like the right tanks, there are also tanks from India. I'm not sure if tanks are cherished and kept behind locked doors or whether they sometimes come up for sale within the Club? If possible I'd like to go for aluminium.
So, should I be patient and wait for a tank to come up for sale within the Club, or should I buy new? If I have to buy new can anyone recommend a supplier please?
Sorry for the ramble,
Chris.
clive

Re: Model 18CS tank

Post by clive »

Hi Chris and welcome to the club website. I have been authorising the adverts for the website and magazine for over 3 years and I do not remember an original ally tank coming up for sale. As a guest member you will only have view of adverts on the website 3 weeks after they have appeared in the magazine. As there is a two week lead in to magazine adverts, one placed just after the deadline could have been on the website for 9 weeks before it is visible to a guest member, it would have been visible to fully paid up club members throughout that period.
Incidentally we don't allow adverts in the forum (and I have edited you entry very slightly) but it is possible for you to place a wanted ad, which is free to club members but costs £5 for guests.
regards and enjoy the bike Clive Adverts Editor
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi
What do you think the difference between a 'C' and a 'CS' tank is. I think they are the same.
Try a £5 wanted advert, it might work, or better still, join the club have free adverts and access to tons of valuable resources and like minded people.
Best of luck

Alan
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thank you for the replies gents. I joined the Club about 10 minutes after posting my original message so it sounds as though the next step will be to place a message in the 'wanted' section. I'm sure I will enjoy the bike, it does feel like I've 'gone back to basics' which is great. I started to feel 'detached' from the more modern bikes, it's only a matter of time before riderless bikes appear on a road near you ;)

I may well be mistaken on the tank. The tank I'm after has reduced depth and sits on small pillars.

Regards,

Chris.
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thank you for your replies. I've joined the Club and posted a message in the wanted section. The tank I'm after is for a scrambler and has reduced depth, however I'm new to AJS and may well be asking for the wrong thing! If it helps this is what I'm after, who wouldn't be......
http://www.yesterdays.nl/ajs-1951-18c-5 ... -1363.html
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The early 50's comp tanks had 4 point fixings. The rear were a bracket reaching to the rear mountings. I think they were mostly steel. CS models with swinging arm had a cutaway at the back for the nose of the saddle. C models with rigid frame didn't have the cutaway. Dudley will correct me if I've got that the wrong way round. They also has screwed on badges. The later alloy tanks were different. 55 had the 4 bolt fixings but 56 on had 2 bolts on the usual pillars but a bolt through the frame at the back. Later tanks had a rubber 'hoover belt' on 2 hooks. So you may have to remove the frame rear mountings to fit an alloy tank of the type you may see on ebay aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Dave
clive

Post by clive »

Welcome to the club proper Chris. I have authorised your advert, but next time ensure you add your contact details (which I have been able to add from your registration)! One thing left. you will need to contact the Eamonn the webmaster on webmaster@jampot.com to get your registration linked to your user name (give him the membership number). At the moment you are still showing as a guest member and will not have access to the whole site. At least you have (I think) finished having the first 3 of your posts moderated, they ought to appear now as soon as you post them.
Dave's post suggests that maybe your advert ought to be a bit more specific or it may need modification.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
raffles

Post by raffles »

You may want to give a thought to a P11 comp tank the correct shape but just under 3 gallons against 2gallons for the original
the Club can supply a P11 tank in steel or alloy of the shelf.
Tony
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

raffles wrote:You may want to give a thought to a P11 comp tank the correct shape but just under 3 gallons against 2gallons for the original
the Club can supply a P11 tank in steel or alloy of the shelf.
Tony
Hi, I think you will find that the P11 tank uses a mounting with two expanding rubbers with bolts at the front mounts and a thick rubber band onto two pegs at the rear of the tank. If using this type of tank be sure to use the correct support block at the rear of the tank and also do check clearance of tank under side to head steady bolt. I have seen a tank holed by incorrect fitting.

The only tanks that I have seen that fit onto a frame with four bolt fixing are the original early 50's comp tank and the later style tank from India as advertised on Ebay. These are available complete with taps and cap as well as the bare tank. Given that your machine is 1951, you will require either the of these types of tank. The later tank will not fit your frame.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162089498767? ... EBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATCHLESS-G3L ... 2384944877

Unless otherwise specified, almost all replacement tanks are sourced in India so don't be fooled by misleading advice. I have seen plenty of these Indian made tanks and the quality has been surprisingly good.

As a second option, Steve at Classic Bike Spares may be able to supply a replica early 50's comp tank. The genuine early are very hard to find and tend to be very expensive to buy.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

. If using this type of tank be sure to use the correct support block at the rear of the tank [/quote]

Does anyone know the part number for this as I have been unable to find it by searching the parts listings
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise