Model 18CS tank

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Stuoyb

Re: Model 18CS tank

Post by Stuoyb »

leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Thanks Stuart
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

It really would not be a good idea to use the later tank on an early frame. Although it can be fitted at the front mounts, the redundant rear mounts on the frame will be visible and not look good at all. I have seen a frame with these cast frame mounts cut off, effectively ruining a good frame. Basically cobbling a late tank onto an early frame is not a good idea. Having said that, it's your bike so do whatever you want. Tanks with the correct mounting are available from a number of sellers on ebay, also I think that AMC Classic Spares have had replicas of the early 50's tank made. There were a few other early replicas around a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure these were all sold.

Don't forget that if you do decide to fit a later P11 type of tank, you will need to buy the front mounting bolts and rubbers.
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Thank you all for the information, in my naivety I though this would be a relatively straightforward task!

I do not wish to modify the frame, I expected (hoped?) to be able to use the existing four frame mountings, if I had to modify the frame I'd leave the bike as it is. Reading between the lines it seems what I'm after is a competition tank that is specific to the early Model 18CS, a tank that has the cut-away for the seat.

I will contact AMC Classic Spares and see whether they can help.

Thanks again,

Chris.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Following Stuart's information to identify the part number for the rear tank support rubber I duly ordered one from club spares which arrived after 24hrs, excellent service!
However as Pooh said 'being a bear of a very little brain' I am confused as to how to fit the support. The rubber ring has an eccentric hole and a slit to mount it round the frame tube and I expected the slit to be on the thin side of the rubber ring so that the thicker complete portion sat over the frame, but this is not the case as the slit is in the thick side of the ring. So my question is 'does the slit go under the frame or on top of it' and if it goes on top what stops it falling off? :?: :?:
Les
clive

Post by clive »

I would suggest that it goes whichever way supports the tank at a sensible angle. Won't the pressure fron the sides of the tank stop it opening up as I assume it will be a tightish fit. If you are worried why not one turn of gaffer tape round it before fitting the tank.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:I would suggest that it goes whichever way supports the tank at a sensible angle. Won't the pressure fron the sides of the tank stop it opening up as I assume it will be a tightish fit. If you are worried why not one turn of gaffer tape round it before fitting the tank.
Or thin cable tie's
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Slit up top so the thick part is on the top of the tube.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

ajscomboman wrote:Slit up top so the thick part is on the top of the tube.
What stops it dropping off?
It wouldn't have had a cable tie round it in the olden days
Les
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

leswaller wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:Slit up top so the thick part is on the top of the tube.
What stops it dropping off?
It wouldn't have had a cable tie round it in the olden days
It'll be trapped by the tank and won't have room to 'open up' round the frame tube.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.