1961 G80 600 Typhoon - Oil leaking.…

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

I am interested in buying a 1961 Matchless G80 600 Typhoon. The motorcycle mechanically rebuilt and appears to be in excellent condition. All of the gaskets around the cyclinder base and head are dry, it sounds good and runs good. The only problem is that there seems to be a problem with it leaking oil. It is pumping oil into the primary case above the level that it should be. Anybody have any ideas? Do you think it is worth $5,500.00. I will list a link to a photo below. I am purchasing this as an investment, and as a woman who knows little about vintage motorcycles, would appreciate any information you can give me about it. If you want to look at it it is at http://members.tripod.com/~selddit/lynnesmatchless.JPG Lynne
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Hi Lynne, What a gorgeous looking bike. Lucky you to find it. Value is a very tricky thing, a proper Typhoon will always be popular with enthusiasts and demand a reasonable price but whether it is a good investment is a different matter. Most riders buy machines like that knowing they will have a lot of fun riding it and maybe break even when they sell it. You kid the missus it is an "investment". The investment lies in the joy of riding it. To increase your capital I'd put your money elsewhere, but if you buy it and need a rider for it, I'm a willing volunteer. Cheers, Bob