Oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
onthebuses

Oil filter

Post by onthebuses »

Hi is there a conversion for the felt filter situated in the oil tank Or is it replace or clean the old one .? Cheers Gary
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil filter

Post by Rob Harknett »

It always was, replace or clean. Which has kept the bikes going for the last 65 odd years. Anything else has still to be proved as good over the same time period, but with less work to do other than a Sunday run when the sun shines.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

It's not difficult to install a 'disposable' cartridge filter in the return line if you want to. It's just a case of finding somewhere suitable to mount it. There are kits available on the interweb, mostly for the Triumph, BSA and Norton twins that could probably be adapted. I've installed them on both my old Triumphs but they have plain bearing big ends and didn't even have a felt filter, just a wire mesh gauze. As Rob says, the felt filter has worked for 60 years, why worry now? They aren't expensive to replace but make sure you get the correct one. Some 'after market' felt filters have been known to cause problems by blocking the return line outlet.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The felt filters to avoid have a broad turn over at both ends. This obstructs the oil return. The correct ones have a thinner turn over.
You might also consider fitting a Triumph Trident paper filter in there. It goes straight in but needs an alloy spacer. Details in the photos section.
Dave.