Ho hum... where do I start?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Ho hum... where do I start?

Post by Pharisee »

Yesterday I went out with some wedge in my pocket and an empty Jeep Cherokee. I came home with less money and a Jeep, packed to the roof with Matchless / AJS parts. An elderly acquaintance had started collecting stuff for a retirement project about 30 years ago but tempus fugits, as it does, and the project never really got started. His wife has called 'time'. He agreed to sell me the lot so yesterday I collected it.
What have I got... pretty much a complete 1954 G3L with enough frame bits and pieces to either build a rigid or a swinging arm version. There is also a 1960 500cc engine minus the barrel and piston and a couple of gearboxes (complete and not dis-assembled), A Burman box for the '54 and a later one for the '60. Also got the later aluminium primary drive cases with the alternator in situ. There are boxes full of other parts that I will have to work through and identify before I actually start any rebuilding.
If I can obtain a barrel and piston for the 500, I'd like to use that later engine and build up a rigid framed competition / trials style machine. I notice that the AMOC spares have an aluminium CS type barrel available. I don't know anything about the CS engine.... would I be able to use that barrel with the '60 500cc crankcase and cylinder head?
I'm sure I'll be back for help and advice in due course but that lot should keep me out of mischief for a while :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Ho hum... where do I start?

Post by saltbox alf »

Oh eck! I would say parts list for the various projects and sort into piles (not to be mixed up) the various bits for each one. New batteries for the camera and a big note book. Large tea mug and many sweet nothings to the other half.
That will get you started :roll:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Pharisee

Re: Ho hum... where do I start?

Post by Pharisee »

I had a phone call from the AMOC dating officer this morning. No... he didn't want to take me out but he did have some good news. It seems that the frame, 350cc engine and Burman gearbox were all part of the same bike as it left the factory as a 1954 G3/LS.
So it looks like I may have to rethink my original idea and build up a 'matching numbers' 350. I can keep the 500cc engine as a spare for my AJS M18S.
Any further developments will be reported in the "G3 / Model 16" forum.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.