1950 Model 18 - New Owner

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
iya0yas

1950 Model 18 - New Owner

Post by iya0yas »

I'm certain the bike was restored at sometime in its life as I don't think the Red paint is an original color offering in 1950. You'll also note that there are a few bits that aren't OEM such as the inner/outer primary covers and horn. I appreciate your feedback re originality, rarity, where to find the parts it's missing, how best to place it back into service for light duty riding. I'm also curious to know the production sequence i.e., # 350 of 500 made in 1950. Based on the s/n's can I trace the ownership of the bike back to its country of origin (sold-to country) and obtain any other relevant data?

Last edited by iya0yas on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1950 Model 18 - New Owner

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like a mixture of mainly 1950 and 1954 parts plus some non AMC.
iya0yas

Post by iya0yas »

Thanks...can you elaborate on what parts you think belong to a '54?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I'm not that well versed in these but to my mind the front brake is from a later bike, carb is also, do like the primary case looks well made and just adore it's garaging and suggest Thornbet tales a look, it would surely solve his heating query :rofl: kind regards
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Everythings wrong with it. It been made with whatever came to hand.
1950 engine, 1952 gearbox,1955 and later wheels.1955 magneto.

Its a pretty bike and someone has taken time to make it like that. Unless you strip the whole lot and start again and throw tonnes of money at it, Just stop. Take a deep breath, get it serviced and legal on the road and enjoy it as it is.

The first step is to get the bike dated, instructions found elsewhere on this website and seek advice from your local club on getting it registered if it isnt.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did not check all the bike, It looks like 54 year only square finned full width front hub, also looks like cotton reel rear hub, last used in 1954. Engine as dated by the number, but has SR1 mag which was first used on 500 cc in 1954, 350 & 500 1955 onwards. Frame can be dated on the number. Last two digits on the gearbox are 52 that's means 1952 gearbox, J month of the year made, the other prefix will tell the model it fitted which can be checked. There are other wrong bits. Make a note of what people are telling you about the bits, the year etc as you will need to know for spares etc.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It has a competition bottom yoke with through lock stops. Front hub is actually a 55 (the lever should point forwards and torque stay should be at the front) The jampots are 55/56. The engine is from a rigid, but the frame looks like a 1950 to me. The number is under the nose of the saddle on the oiltank side.
Dave.
iya0yas

Re: 1950 Model 18S - New Owner

Post by iya0yas »

I appreciate the feedback. In other words, what I have is an extremely rare and invaluable (1 of 1) Mutt...but that's okay. :oops: Hopefully the non-std. bits serve to enhance the performance and/or reliability of the machine.

I spent a couple of hours browsing through literature archives and was literally blown-away with how much information has been compiled over the years. I found reference to frame & engine numbers but not sure if the frame number I found is correct.

For example, the literature (Matchless_Frame_Numbers_1950-1966_AJSMOC) indicates the 500cc frame numbers in '50 begin with 46765 thru 59744 for '51 (12,979 units). My frame no. (seat lug-right side on main frame) is 4778\c. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong numbers?

The 500cc engine numbers in '50 begin with 12500 thru 15690 for '51 (3,190 units). Therefore, with engine no. 14856 my engine is no. 2,356 of 3,190 built....that was easy, right?

The fenders also stand out to me as being incorrect. The previous owner mentioned that he too received compliments on the billet primary covers however this mod was done prior to him purchasing the bike in '97 - I'm sure they would be quite expensive to reproduce by today's standards. I like the dual final drive sprocket for on/off-road use. Was this standard in '50 or an add-on as well?
clive

Post by clive »

The C in your frame number indicates that this was original a competition (trials rather than racing) frame. Unfortunately the factory records for the competition frames are not available. The clutch dome on the primary chaincase is a standard AMC one but not usually chromed and not introduced until around 1955. Assuming the engine is a runner, my advice would be get a battery, change the headlight dipswitch as the lever appears to be broken, give up hope of getting it back to an "original bike" and enjoy using it as it is. You cannot look at the bike while you are riding (the speedo is correct provided you are not worried about the very small model numbers on the face :roll: ) and its performance is what will matter. Enjoy

Ps the double rear sprocket is far from original. That rear sprocket was clearly a mod for off road use. The original sprocket would be the smaller one and in 1950 any adjustments for off road use would have been made by changing the gearbox and or engine sprocket. It may now be undergeared for road use depending on what the gearbox and engine sprockets are.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The road model frame and engine numbers were shared with other models also AJS & Matchless. So 350 / 500 / AJS / Matchless all using the same series. You cannot even guess how many 500 Matchless were made. 4778C is a 1955 model completion frame number, first year of the full width conical full width hub front and back. In fact that full width hub rear wheel was only used that year. You cannot see any difference. Inside it had metal pins in metal holes, no rubbers.
Just another note of advise. You have a time limit of free access to the club forum etc. I may consider it worth joining the club, you will then have a full year of the club benefits and the members, to help you get to know about your bike, what you have etc. Probably save you money if you need parts. Also hints and tips working on your bike.