Speedometer removal?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Robdog

Speedometer removal?

Post by Robdog »

My speedometer on my '54 G80 seems to be having issues. I'd like to remove it from the nacelle to have a better look but can't quite work out how it is held in. Is it held into the nacelle by the rubber? Any hints on how to remove it?

Cheers,
Rob Harknett

Re: Speedometer removal?

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think you may have to remove the bezel, then pull it out from underneath. Or perhaps a clamp is fitted underneath to remove, then pull out from the top. There's probably a rubber seal.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

It has a u shaped clamp holing it in. Take the headlamp lense off and you should see the clamp hanging under the speedo body
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Mine is held by a clamp in side the lamp shell, remove the clamp, held with 2 nuts and the speedo lifts upwards, there should be a rubber seal as Rob says, but it could by now be a congelitus mess! Don't forget to remove the light and the drive cable first and of course disconnect the battery, spanners and switches in the shell don't mix too well!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Robdog

Post by Robdog »

Thanks all. No U-shaped clamp in my nacelle holding the speedo. This what I was expecting and there are a couple studs sticking out from the speedo body, but no clamp. It looks to be held by the rubber surrounding the body. Should it push out through the top or back down into the nacelle? Do I try to strip the rubber out first? Anybody have experience repairing speedos that have frozen?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

speedo should push out from the inside. Probably held in by decaying rubber. If you have another rubber seal, it might make it easy to pick away at the existing rubber
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Don't know about speedos Robdog but I very successfully freed off a corroded and stuck ammeter (had no glass) on my old Model 14 by soaking it in isopropyl alcohol. The beauty is that you can immerse the whole thing for a length of time and it didn't affect the dial in any way, in fact gave the dial a really nice clean up. I expect you will need to lubricate the speedo judiciously in the correct areas afterwards. Your experience may obviously vary with other instruments but it worked on a Wipac ammeter.

Iron Head
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

If you haven't got a new rubber seal then a large thin o ring will do the same job. It just makes the speedo sit a bit higher in the nacelle. You need to make yourself a new metal strap to go on the inside to hold everything in. Very easy to do from a bit of aluminium or steel strip.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

When I bought my '55 Model 18S it had been fitted with an earlier headlamp and the speedometer was mounted on a home made bracket attached to the top yoke. I later acquired the correct headlamp with the nacelle for the speedometer. It wasn't the original speedometer as it didn't have the flanged bezel. The correct bezel, new glass and sealing washer I obtained from Chronometric Instruments in Nottingham. The rubber seal for the nacelle (Part No. 021798) was obtained from AMOC Spares. The "U" shaped retaining clamp/bracket I had to make myself from a length of perforated steel strip I bought from a seller on eBay. None of the bits were particularly expensive (in the great scheme of things). The bits from Chronometric Instruments cost £36 which also included a new, longer trip odometer reset shaft. The speedo rubber grommet for the headlamp was £2.20. And yes, the speedometer is very definitely removed by pushing it up from inside the headlamp shell.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Two different speedos shown here, 54 type and 55 type fitted in the headlamp, the latter has a flanged bezzle. Sounds like your speedo may had been stuck in with mastic and rubber seal. If you do this, you may need to fit a wire where the speedo bracket fits, and run to earth for the light to earth.