1954 G80S end play

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
moley

1954 G80S end play

Post by moley »

I am restoring a 1954 g80s which was supposedly half restored but not up to standard so stripped everything and started again. i am haveing trouble with getting end play in the crank - i know you supposed to alter the timing side bush but it is right back already - it has one of the bsa big ends init but no end play whatsover although the crank turns freely in the cases when all bolts in and tight But when the oil pump is inserted it is making a horrible grunching noise... also there is only one bearing spacer and i beleive there should be two - i think that if another spacer was put in the oil pump would be free and wopuld not make a noise because the crank would be pushed towards the timing chest but i know the assembly would lock up.

Any ideas ? Sctratching head at moment ?

regards

andy
itma

1954 G80S end play

Post by itma »

Does your oil pump have 2S stamped on the end? you may have wrong pump. Who put the BSA big end in? If it was Saggers he`d have done the whole bottom end, and it would be spot on, no need to touch it. If you have the large t/s axle then you do NOT move the bush to adjust the end float.
laxy

1954 G80S end play

Post by laxy »

MOLEY, YOUR RIGHT THERE SHOULD BE TWO WASHERS BETWEEN THE BEARINGS FOR 54 THE OUTER ONE BEING SMALLER IN DIA. THAN THE INNER ONE.
YOUR ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST [YOU DO HAVE ONE DONT YOU?] WILL GIVE YOU THE CORRECT NO. SHOULD BE OBTAINABLE FROM THE CLUB SPARES SCHEME.
AS I RECALL END FLOAT IS TAKEN UP WHEN THE SHOCK ABSORBER SPRING IS FITTED.
AGAIN, THE MANUAL WILL GIVE YOU MIN. MAX. TOLERANCES.
B.S.A. CONVERSION IS GOOD MODIFICATION BUT YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD THIS DONE TO FIND OUT IF ANY OTHER CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE. CAN ANYONE COME IN ON THIS?
REGARDS KEITH
itma

1954 G80S end play

Post by itma »

I had Malcom Sagger do the BSA big end trick on my bike 2 years ago, if its done right there is no need to alter anything, then again who did the conversion?
Can give no higher recommendation to Saggers work than to say its the only time anyone else has worked on my bike in 40 years of owners ship
Advice Moley., is as ever, when in doubt start at the begining even if it means dismantling the wheels. Belt and braces every time
moley

1954 G80S end play

Post by moley »

Thanks for remarks. yes oil pump says 2s. i belive saggars did work i cannot leave it alone because when shock absorb spring is fixed up the oil pump is crunching against the spline on the crank, when the spring is taken off the oil pump becoms free with no noise
Biscuit
Deceased

1954 G80S end play

Post by Biscuit »

Have you not answered your own question, ie. the second spacing washer between the races?

itma

1954 G80S end play

Post by itma »

The mere mention of splines crunching on the oil pump fills me with misgivings beyond description.
When Sagers did my bigend conversion he was adamant that he had the whole bttom end to attend to or nothing, he would not do just the wheels alone.
It was that no nonsense attitude that convinced me to hand my bits over to him.
thus I would suggest its not his handiwork or there would be no missing spacers and your wheels would spin like a welloiled top. or in the case of many members today, just well oiled. `appy `angover
moley

1954 G80S end play

Post by moley »

Thanks for your replies. ordered spacing washers and chucked em in and i have now got end play - i think perhaps the bearings were not fully home - all ok know. plops over like a good un. regards andy