AJS 18S and sidecar

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Hi Neil, have just sent you a message via this site, asking for your e-mail address. I should then be able to send my pics to you.
I do remember George and Mildred, and so does my wife. That's why I can only get her into the sidecar with a lot of protest. The kids seem to love it though, the older ones like to laugh at it (are you dissing my sidecar?) the younger ones have probably never seen one before-except for Wallace & Grommit-and they are the ones who are queueing for a ride if I don't get away from the drive quick enough. They have been asking all summer when I'm going to put "that funny little car" back on my bike. They don't play out now the weather is crummy, so I seem to fairly safe.
One annoying thing I get with my outfit is that everytime I fit/re-align it is the bike, having been leaned outwards as recommended always ends up leaning in again almost immediately. I'm coming to the conclusion that the two telescopic tubes that should brace it in position are worn and not gripping. So I want to try the Velorex type with a threaded length adjuster-a bit like a track rod etc. Anyone got a couple lying around?
I know I should take my own advice and go to Charnwood, but I like to keep him as 3rd reserve. He is alomost the only place with a stock of sidecar spares, and he knows the price of everything. I don't begrudge him that, but I just can't always afford it!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Janet, thanks for the offer of cheese, but I am still well stocked with a lovely Stilton and a bottle of Port from one of our contractors. I am sure Wallace would approve!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
ajscomboman

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by ajscomboman »

Hi Janet

I have a GP attached to my G9. I will take some digital photos of the fittings and send them to you

Rob
ajscomboman

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by ajscomboman »

Hi All

With regards to the price of sidecar fittings, I do find Charnwoods a bit pricey. Why not try West Country Sidecars. The owner Phil Primmer has stacks of bits but is looking to retire. So if you require bits and pieces (was'nt that a song title along time ago? Before i was born) you had best be quick. Find his web site with Google as i don't have it to hand.

Rob
Eamonn
Webmaster

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Eamonn »

quote:
I have given up trying to understand how to submit a photo via this web site, ( it does not explain how I get the photo from my 'pictures' file onto the site...) So I will send it via the webmaster's email address.

Neil.

The picture referred to by Neil is now in the gallery pages (Road machines).

BTW, the following description for uploading comes from the 'Pictures FAQ' information:-

2). Uploading your pictures from your hard disk:
The other way to add pictures to the site is to literaly copy a picture that you have saved in your hard disk and "paste it" on AJS and Matchless Owners Club Limited's server hard disk (we will call this process "Uploading a Picture").
To upload a picture from your local disk, press the button next to the field entitled "Upload Image:".
This will launch a dialog window that helps you select your picture in any folder in your computer. Select the image you want to upload, and press the Open button (or simply double-click the file desired). Once you have selected your file, its location or path (in your disk) will be inserted into the Upload Image field.

Corners like a Lego man
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

Giving rides to children...

I ran a Panther M120 in the 1970s, initially with a single/adult chair, then a huge Busmar double/adult one. I also had a towing ball fitted and took a trailer on holidays with the tent,etc, in it. Once the local children saw it, I could be seen pottering about the camp site with two on the pillion, about 5 crammed in the sidecar, and another four in the trailer. Counting me, that is 11 people.

I sold it in about 1982.