AJS 18S and sidecar

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

I am fitting a restored 1950s Watsoninan child/adult sidecar to my 1953 AJS 18S. Has anyone got scetches of a 18S or G80 connecting points? Has anyone got a top seat-nose connection? Or any other links...

Neil Cairns.
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Hi Neil, I have a Watsonian fitted to my rigid G80. If you want I could try to mail photos of the connections tomorrow? The usual method is to use the obvious large cycle thread lug near the passenger footrest for the bottom rear ball joint connection, the lug on the front down tube for the swan neck fitting, the seat lug for the upper rear fitting (I don't have one but you should try Charnwood Classic Restorations for this, he's bound to have anything you need!)and a similar smaller clevis lug for the lower front, this bolts on to the larger 3/8" stud at the top front of the front engine mounting. Just in front and below where your magneto sits.
I'm using an 18 tooth crank sprocket, standard 350 gearing, which with my single seater Avon chair is possibly a tad too low. If any one has a 19 tooth crank sprocket with 21 tooth dynamo drive, I'm in the market!
Good luck with it,
Steve.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by itma »

I know a bloke with one of these, but he`s such a miserable grumpy bitter twisted southern old git you would`nt want to deal with him, not sure it`d work north of the Thames either..
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Hey, I'll buy it! depends how much you're asking of course, I know what you trade types are like. And I don't want a deal on a frock either. Have you got a 20 tooth one as well?
itma

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by itma »

ooh. I`ve gotcha now....let me see, how much do I need for that Hawk?
get me on email, it should be on file, not sure about 20T, need to look deeper.
do have a look at my frocks, I`m sure I can suit you..list of members who have bought availiable in a plain envelope
bjork

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by bjork »

Now that list I would pay for, if you throw the sprocket in
neil cairns

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by neil cairns »

Thanks Bjork, I would welcome any pictures. BUT my 18S has the earlier frame, without the threaded lug at the rear footrest, ( only fitted after 1954, mine is 1953.) I will contact the restoration people, and any pics welcome.
Biscuit
Deceased

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Biscuit »

I think the bottom rear fitting is a large clevis type thingy that replaces the nut on the bottom rail/rear loop uniting stud.

Dick Hobart

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Dick Hobart »

Neil,
I think you'll find that a male ended fitting will replace the nearside rear footrest a treat. You should still be able to fit a ball and socket fitting for that final fine tuning, although I've noticed that a lot of chairmen dispense with that nowadays. Did you get the engine sprocket you were after in your ad.? If not, I can help you.
Dick H
Biscuit
Deceased

AJS 18S and sidecar

Post by Biscuit »

Given that the pillion footrest mounting is an extention of the bottom frame rail, it seems a bit flimsy for this purpose considering the ten inches or so of overhang.I prefer my idea (Well I would, wouldn't I)

Whoops! what to do with brake pedal?

In Neill's small book, A practical Guide Covering all models from 1933, he makes the ammazing statement that no post-war models are fitted with sidecar attachment lugs.Edited by - Biscuit on 01 Jan 2006 12:20:11 PM