Side stand spring

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Side stand spring

Post by Pharisee »

Where does the side stand spring attach at the frame end? When I took it off, the spring was stretched under the engine, around the outside of the lower frame tube and secured under the nut on the bottom engine / frame stud. I'm pretty sure that wasn't where it was supposed to go but I can't see anywhere else obvious that it will attach to. :(
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
leswaller

Re: Side stand spring

Post by leswaller »

If you look closely at the frame bottom tubes you will see two small holes. Putting the spring in the rear one makes the stand 'self retract' when you take the wait off it. Putting it in the front hole will keep the stand down unless you flick it up.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

leswaller wrote:If you look closely at the frame bottom tubes you will see two small holes. Putting the spring in the rear one makes the stand 'self retract' when you take the wait off it. Putting it in the front hole will keep the stand down unless you flick it up.
Right... found 'em... eventually. I was looking too far forward. I'll need a new spring now as the old one has been stretched too far.
Thanks for your help. :D
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Just fitted a new stainless spring. I used the two holes in the frame as suggested but they are so close together (1/2" or so) that it makes no difference which one you use, the stand is self retracting when you lift the bike up. For the stand to stay down, for a manual retract, the spring attachment point would have to be a lot further forward and there's nowhere that I can see for it to hook on to. Not that it really matters; just have to be mindful of it.
clive

Post by clive »

The two holes are supposed to allow the spring to be fitted and the end then come out again. There should be two further holes, as you say significantly forward, whch allow the stand to stay down. if your frame really does not have them you could add a small thin plate under the nut that holds the front and rear frame sections together, small hole in it for the spring.
Personally I have always had the fly away side stand, but owing to the need to move my twin into the overfull garage with the side stand down, I set this bike up with the forward mounted spring. Then found I was occasionally setting off with the stand down. Have now fitted a micro switch operated by the sidestand and connected to the earth point on the mag. Cannot start the bike with the sidestand down. Of course the down side is that I sometimes kick the bike over a number times before I remember to raise the stand!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clive wrote:The two holes are supposed to allow the spring to be fitted and the end then come out again. There should be two further holes, as you say significantly forward, whch allow the stand to stay down. if your frame really does not have them you could add a small thin plate under the nut that holds the front and rear frame sections together, small hole in it for the spring.
Personally I have always had the fly away side stand, but owing to the need to move my twin into the overfull garage with the side stand down, I set this bike up with the forward mounted spring. Then found I was occasionally setting off with the stand down. Have now fitted a micro switch operated by the sidestand and connected to the earth point on the mag. Cannot start the bike with the sidestand down. Of course the down side is that I sometimes kick the bike over a number times before I remember to raise the stand!
You may well be right... The two holes I found, and have used, are located between the centre stand pivot and the footrest bar hole. I've just had another look (using the mirror on my lady's powder compact which I found in the bedroom... must remember to wipe the oily finger prints off before she gets home) and there is a single hole right at the front of the bottom tube, close to where it's flattened out to bolt to the front frame section. I'll try attaching the spring there tomorrow. Thanks for the help :)
shifter

Post by shifter »

My side stand was the flip up suicide and the bike on the ground sort till I seen this post now after fitting a little drop plate with a hole (No holes in the front section of frame) (Model 20) it stays down until I kick it up. Thank you
?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Pharisee wrote: You may well be right... The two holes I found, and have used, are located between the centre stand pivot and the footrest bar hole. I've just had another look (using the mirror on my lady's powder compact which I found in the bedroom... must remember to wipe the oily finger prints off before she gets home) and there is a single hole right at the front of the bottom tube, close to where it's flattened out to bolt to the front frame section. I'll try attaching the spring there tomorrow. Thanks for the help :)
Hooked the spring into the forward hole and it works just fine. Thanks for the help :)