Screw controlling oil feed to the inlet-valve stem

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Ajs en France

Screw controlling oil feed to the inlet-valve stem

Post by Ajs en France »

Hi, I have just become a full member after several months as a guest. I have an AJS 18s 1953 which I bought reconditioned, so please excuse my ignorance but I'm learning all the time. I inadvertently tightened the screw controlling oil feed to the inlet-valve stem, thus causing problems, engine missing on my next trip out. What is the correct setting/position for this screw. I have at present turned it back quarter of a turn, it seems to be running ok but as yet haven't been out on it.
Thanks for reading, and hopefully for advice. Mark
SPRIDDLER

Re: Screw controlling oil feed to the inlet-valve stem

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Mark.
A quarter open is fine although a sixth is suggested in the Owners Manual, page 17. See here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.06.07_15h10m48s_001_.png
Slapped wrist for not looking in your instruction book. See above TXT. Parts list , Instruction book and workshop manual should been been your first requirement after getting the bike. All online now. You will see the adjuster controls oil to the inlet valve stem. Old bikes ran without that lubrication, which eventually got grease via a grease nipple. You would have had to do many miles before the inlet valve would stick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ajs en France

Post by Ajs en France »

Thanks guys, I have got 'the book of the AJS 350 & 500 ohv singles' and looked at on line copies of manuals! I think I need to get my glasses changed... thanks for your help, it's certainly good too know you guys are out there with all your knowledge, if it's needed. Merci
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Can anyone tell me what size the lock nut for the needle valve is please?

I've looked in the (albeit 1956) parts list and it identifies the part numbers for the needle and lock nut as 010643 and 011373 respectively but doesn't say what thread/size.

I've tried all the Imperial spanners I have but none are close to being the correct size so I need to go and pester a friend who has a very fine collection but I need to give hime a clue!

TIA

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

0BA perhaps?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have one at 1/8 whit and two at 3/8 a/f.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Neither my 0BA or 1/8W spanners fit. I don't think I've got a 3/8 A/F so maybe that's the one to try and borrow?

Thanks

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I just tried all the small spanners I had until one fitted nicely; didn't look at the actual size.

Similar with the awkward to deal with adjustment of the valve lifter with the tank on. And then bent the spanner to make it easier, so can't get that one wrong.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

56G80S wrote:I just tried all the small spanners I had until one fitted nicely; didn't look at the actual size.

Similar with the awkward to deal with adjustment of the valve lifter with the tank on. And then bent the spanner to make it easier, so can't get that one wrong.

Johnny B
I do the same inc. metric spanners. When all seems to fail, I have 3 of those cheap adjustable spanners. Same applies to some cable adjusters that a small spanner cannot be found that fits. I only used to have a bike tool box full of spanners in the 50's open ended and ring plus pliers and king dick adjustable. points set and fork pinch bolt allen key. Managed just with those years ago. But now have metric and cheap adjustable's.