Dual seat quandry.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
deejaybrown98

Re: Dual seat quandry.

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Sorry to raise this quandry again but I need a seat for my 54 18S (seat did not come with bike when bought) and and am worried about comments regarding the fit of the rear screws. Does anyone have a dimension for distance of the rear holes vertically down from the centre of the seat pan? Pharisee commented that the rear bolts did not match up vertically even having bought the correct part number seat.
Are todays seats any better?
David Brown
RobC_LAPSED

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

Hi David,

Did you have any luck with a seat. I've got mine in pieces to see if I re-upholster it myself so attached some photo's to see if that helps?
It's rather a hand-made looking item, not sure if it's original or a job for the apprentice! Mine is from a 55 G80S so should be the same. The design changed for 56 I believe with the intro of the new frame. When I've looked at repro ones for sale with photo's underneath, you can see the difference in pre/post 56 types.

If you want to have a go at making one, its basically 3 bits of sheet steel with tabs bent over, pop riveted together with the addition of a centre strengthener, front fixings and the sticking up bit. The foam rubber top is approx 4in thick on top. If you want any measurements from the metalwork, let me know.

Rob
RobC_LAPSED

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

Photo's this time!
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That looks like a good original seat (like the janitor's broom ... :lol: ) with new sides and pan. Obviously wouldn't have been pop rivetted and bolted together. Also would have had folded returns on the bottom edges to stop the cover wearing through. i'd protect them with something like duct tape. It should re-cover really well and should fit nicely. I'd get a new cover from Leightons and new foam if it's knackered.
Dave
deejaybrown98

Post by deejaybrown98 »

Hi Rob, Have asked Leightons if they could give me the relative positions for the rear holes on 02-1199. Hopefully I can be sure then that seat will fit before I buy it.
Many thanks for the pics. Really is a simple base and maybe worth considering DIY. I think I could knock one of those up but then getting foam and cover to fit could be the problem.
Maybe I could give it a go depending on the price of the new one from Leightons. Could you lay a tape measure by the pan sometime please. Just for the overall dimensions. That would be great.
David
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

1956 was an interim year and the seat differs from '55 and '57.

Johnny B
RobC_LAPSED

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

New ones on fleabay for £130 - £150.
Mine has what looks like the orig moulded honeycomb foam rubber (gone powdery). I guess I will need to cut the shape out of a block of foam. It's a bit strange how its on home-made metalwork!
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodland

Post by Woodland »

I'm after a new seat for my 1953 AJS 18S, the part number according to the book is 018785
Leightons have told me they will have some within the next couple of weeks
Gary