seat attachment point ?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ajsph

Re: seat attachment point ?

Post by ajsph »

here you have a picture showing the fixing point for the saddle and rear mounting for the tank
regards Poul
19490006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

Thanks Poul
I'll throw my tank back on have a look as I had thought the hole was farther up from the tank mounts .
Maybe it is accessable.
Ian
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

Today April 10 i decided while the weather is nice ,I had better start to assemble the AJS .
Major items missing are the front & rear fenders.Chain gaurd and battery carrier plus tail light assembly
I have the front & rear footrest,new fork covers,2 new fuel taps.New muffler,front & rear stands thanks to the previous owner.
Motor is now turning over but binds somewhere.
The motor as mention above is a 54 18S.
The mag appears to be 49 but has the auto advance installed with the manual cable still attached.
As you can see from the photo, the timing chain is very loose.Issue there.
The wheels are 3.50 & 300 x19 but the rear is offset to the right by approx 1/2 in
The speedo drive is missing and I see 2;1 drives for 1950 on are available. Are these the same ? Must be I would guess.
Here are some photo's from Today.

GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

that is interesting to me what you say about the rear mounting points Clive, my 1954 springtwin frame has none as I have said, I have always assumed they had been removed, however looking at the frame and the mounting details as posted my top rail is not very similar to this but more like the top rail in the original posting, I f can see no evidence that anything has been removed so maybe they were never there in the first place! kind regards
JonHardcastle

Post by JonHardcastle »

The bike is looking good, any updates? I am glad to see I am not the only one in Ontario bringing an old AMC bike back to life.