Primary chain case outer cover advice please.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Matt Durkin

Re: Primary chain case outer cover advice please.

Post by Matt Durkin »

Janet wrote:Matt, did you join the club? If not you'll be getting barred from posting on the forum very shortly, although you'll still be able to read the public messages.
Hello again!!

It's been a long time getting around to it, ( another bereavement and one of my son's and his missus thought it would be a great idea to grant me Grandad status). The dust, a lot of dust, has been blown off the pile of bits over at my mum's (40min drive away) and well, I'm here, all joined up and everything. 👍👍

Mum has said that it would make sense to get the bike over to my house in Scunthorpe so I can get more time on the build (of which you know I'm a complete novice).

I have now in my possession a few numbers, eng, box, frame etc that might shed a bit more light on it's identity, will dig them out at a more earthly hour. P

So.... thanks, and errr?, hello again...properly. :P
burrage
Deceased

Post by burrage »

Alternator Singles have one dowel, alternator twins have two dowels, and they are not interchangeable because they are different shapes.
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

Hello Matt,
I'm in Belton, so just down the road from you, and you are welcome to see my 1959 alternator model G3 if it helps.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I don't know of a write up , but I cut the cover off my P11 and just put longer studs in . this does mean that can check the stator /rotor gap
as you say after all theses years often a mismatch of parts

ive also fitted a alternator to my G11 that should have a tin chain case , spacer made to centre on the crankcase

get it wrong and rotor and stator will seize/weld together once hot