Cylinder liner / Alloy Barrel for G80S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Spanielsam

Cylinder liner / Alloy Barrel for G80S

Post by Spanielsam »

Hello
I have just stripped down my recently purchased 1956 G80S and found that the barrel is scored and has two large gouges in it where presumably the gudgeon pin has tried to make a break for freedom
I understand that I might have the option of getting the barrel lined or I see that you can still get the Alloy G80CS barrels
A couple of qurstions
Can anybody reccomend who could line the existing barrel and what piston should i use, the piston in the engine looks ok and has 10197 +20 on it. I do not think this is the piston that did the damage
Also can the Alloy barrel be used on a G80S - i see the bores are diffeent 82mm versus 86mm

Any assistance would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
dave16mct

Re: Cylinder liner / Alloy Barrel for G80S

Post by dave16mct »

You cannot use the G80CS barrell without major changes as the stud spacing is different, different stroke etc. I would ask T&L engineering about a rebore or relining. O/S Pistons are available at club spares.
Cheers Dave
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Yes ...the new alloy barrels are for the later post '64 engines...86mm bore which has to be used with later head and piston ATB...Les
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Thanks for your very quick replies, just spoke to T&L who were very helpful - brilliant !
Marty

Post by Marty »

Yes ...the new alloy barrels are for the later post '64 engines...86mm bore which has to be used with later head and piston ATB...Les

Hi Les
The short stroke barrel was introduced in '56. Not being picky, but someone planning a similar conversion may get the wrong idea
Cheers Marty
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

I keep getting a strange urge to try a cut down 500 ally barrel on a 63 interim, (short stroke), motor. The only problem being that I don't want to muck about with a very nice original bike. :headbang:
I suppose it would be best if I just keep taking the pills eh.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't think its the pills. Not taking any so I can't blame them. It was years before I finally brought a bike I always wanted back in my teens. Now I've got such a bike, I don't like riding it. At first it was a novelty to have power to spare. Now I seem to pick a 350 single or old prewar bike when I feel like a ride out. If it is the pills,I think I better keep off them else I'll never get out for a ride, if I get the urge to change bits on a bike.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Don't think its the pills. Not taking any so I can't blame them. It was years before I finally brought a bike I always wanted back in my teens. Now I've got such a bike, I don't like riding it. At first it was a novelty to have power to spare. Now I seem to pick a 350 single or old prewar bike when I feel like a ride out. If it is the pills,I think I better keep off them else I'll never get out for a ride, if I get the urge to change bits on a bike.
Are you referring to the 63 CSR Rob. I always wanted a 500 CS and now I've got one the bloody thing has been a nightmare to set up, even now it's developed a stutter coming off pilot onto the slide and I can't tune it out. Its spoiling my enjoyment of what should be a cracking bike. The 350 CS short stroke I've just re-commissioned is the opposite, less power but a true giggle to ride. Revs like buggery and has the crispest exhaust note, true hooligans bike! :D I'm contemplating taking both to the Jampot.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I'm contemplating taking both to the Jampot.[/quote]

Good that will mean I can charge you double :lol:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't be silly, I thought it'd mean I was getting a bargain only paying 1/2 price entry for each bike. :D