I have a feeling I'm in the right place...

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Matt Durkin

I have a feeling I'm in the right place...

Post by Matt Durkin »

:) Hello everyone.
I have just registered here and have a feeling I'm just in the right place.
My Dad sadly passed away recently, and my last promise to him was to complete the restoration of the G80 he was mid-way through.
Perhaps someone on here know as little bit about this particular bike? Im not near it at the min nor have any pics but will post them up soon.
I do know it was purchased about 18months ago from someone who had many many projects on the go.
I have noticed that the 3 letter on the plate are UYG
I do know it was once used as a bike in a war, and had part of the toolbox/seat area cut out to slide a rifle in?
My Dad was from Selby, North Yorkshire, just in case anyone remembers selling him the bike.

Now, I am no stranger to spanners, largely cars though, and am an experienced vehicle refinisher.
I have all the paint practically finished, except I need to get the base of the tank welded/brazed back in as it had been previously cut out for some reason, probably to reshape as I see from previous photos it was well used/battered.

My first question, request is please does anyone have a wiring diagram?, I do know I can simply go out and buy one, however, I do really want to make it myself, I have no problem doing that, but would simply like a pictorial layout.

Thanks so very very much for taking time to read this, thats my introduction, and I promise all subsequent posts will be shorter and to the point.

Kindest regards to all :P

Matt Durkin.
Rob Harknett

Re: I have a feeling I'm in the right place...

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Matt, Welcome to the forum. As you know, as a guest you have limited access. It would be a good idea if you joined the club. You say the bike is a G80, you say you know it is a war bike. ??????? yes questions, this seems to be incorrect.. Most war bikes were 350 G3 G3/L Matchless. UGY was first used in 1958. If the bike has been adapted to carry a rifle, it could had been used to carry a rifle to a Clay pigeon shoot or something, or perhaps even to carry a fishing rod, cricket bat or something similar. So first you need to ID just what you have got. The reg. no. UGY could be an age related number, G80 war bike perhaps not. If you have no documents, you first need to ID what you have via frame and engine number, using the clubs dating officer. Next step is pictures, as not all the bike may be 100% correct for the year and model the frame and engine numbers confirm. The lads here will tell you what's right or wrong. You will need to know this if you need spares parts. e.g. the engine may not be correct for the year and model and so on. It would be in your best interest to join the club, you could save money by doing so. You then have a full year to keep coming back to the forum for help hints tips where to get parts how to do a job and so on.
clive

Post by clive »

Rob the number is UYG does this change your answer with regard to possible WD history?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

UYG 1958 Yorkshire west riding reg. no. used February to March 1958. Seems I checked the correct number Clive then mistyped it. Records seem to be archived with http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk so may be possible through them, to discover the first owner, date of registration, frame & engine numbers etc. Frame & engine numbers should confirm its a 1958 machine & the model.
Groily

Post by Groily »

If it's got an alternator and you want a few diagrams to look at and maybe filch ideas from, see (eg) http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/libr ... agrams.pdf where there are circuits for the common alternators of the day. In particular, the ones for 'any single cylinder' bike. Switches etc vary, but they're pretty simple to figure.
If doing it from scratch, I'd use a combined rectifier/regulator to simplify things considerably and either fit a two wire stator or, if the original still is good, double up one pair of the wires off it in line with much- discussed (here and elsewhere) practice.
If you've got an earlier bike than the reg no suggests, and it has a dynamo, then it's even easier to make up something. No dynamo diagram in the linked pdf, but can easily send a typical, simple, schematic if you want.
Cheers, Bill
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

Hi, It definately has history relating to some war or conflict. The chap my dad bought it from was very precise with details, I just dont have them to hand at this minute. I do know the frame and engine number is on the white board in Dads garage, along with his parts list and some photos of it from many years ago, pre restoration that came with the bike.
I do know there is also an extensive documented history that came with the bike, along with the original bill of sale.
I have not yet seen these for myself but I am at Mums next weekend and will get as much information together and post it back here when I have.
Thanks again guys, i do know that dad said he would have to re-register the bike, have it checked over and a new number issued.
There is also a fully restored Panther in the garage, restored to the same high spec as this one he was on with, and previous to that we restored and more recently sold a Royal Enfield 250 GT Continental so Dad and biuke restorations were no stranger.

Matt

PS Thanks so much Bill, Im pretty certain it is magneto, but will check, and of course, will post pics up of it in its current state when I get back from Selby next weekend. ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Could be, all the numbers for UYG were not used in 1958, and later used as age related numbers.
Frame & engine numbers will confirm what ever the bike is. The only G80's I see in WD contracts are just 12 in 1940, in civvi trim.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

According to my book UYG was issued by West Riding in 1958 (Feb and March). No mention of any not used so unlikely to be used later as age related numbers.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

True Colin, latest publication I looked in was 1995, after that date, if numbers were not all used up, a later publication may state, reissued. Perhaps then any remaining numbers could had been used as age related numbers.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

11.jpg

Here you can see UYG was a reg. no. used much later than the wartime years. 1958 is correct. This is from the July 1949 Measham register. ( more informative than Glass and other publications. Its set up allows you to easily see the reg. letter progress. YG for York w. riding progressing to AYG and by July 1948, the series had progressed to GYG 676
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.