Rigid tool box

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ajsm18

Re: Rigid tool box

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Clive
Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually tried fitting a pillion rest yet but it wouldn't fold up because of the triangular toolbox. I assumed the my foot would foul it when using the kickstart but maybe not.
I thought the triangular toolbox that I have fitted was AMC but it seems not.
I have a foam pillion pad fitted but I won't tell my wofe how uncomfortable it will be!
Mark
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Slightly off the actual topic,but asking about the opposite change of location.
My late '47 G80 has its correct tool box in the upper position, but as I do not carry a passenger and because I intend to use the bike for touring, I am considering changing to the lower, further forward tool box position.
With the box in its original higher position, throw over panniers have to be carried much further back, unless the off side pannier hangs over the tool box. Not only will this make the tool box difficult t get at, but will make the pannier hang further outboard.
With tool box in the lower position, pannier bags can sit 4 or 5 inches further forward with out overhanging the tool box.
This morning I took the tool box off and offered it up in the lower position.
A couple of holes already there on the straight side below the knob lined up with the 2 lugs on the chain stay and a couple of "P" clips on the lower rail will steady it.
I have seen references to the tool box being modified when the position was changed from 1950 onwards, but I cannot see what the changes would be.
The only slight snag seems to be that the lid will touch the silencer when nearly fully open, and a slight adjustment to silencer height may cope with that.
Possibly tool boxes for the later, lower position are a slightly different shape but it doesn't show in any pictures.
There is nothing ireversable about the change, and I am not a great stickler for originality anyway.
I would be glad of any comments about practicalities of the change of position that I am considering.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Just for info.......
Toolbox position on my (one previous owner - AMC dealer) '47 Model 18
100_1332 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Having bolted it in place finger tight, I can now see that on my G80, it is the rear stand spring hanger that limits the full opening of the lid with the box in the lower position.
So maybe the post 1950 model had the spring position altered, or the box made for the lower position is indeed different.
For my purpose, I can get around it, with a bit of nylon cord to prevent contact if the lid opens too far. With this mod it will still open easily wde enough.
Panniers would indeed be able to hang 4.1/2" further forward.