Oil pipe feed & return unions?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
cf160

Re: Oil pipe feed & return unions?

Post by cf160 »

Been trying to purchase these unions and pipe ends, but Russell and everyone else will only sell the complete kit of all pipes and ends etc. All I really need is the return end (threaded) which goes into the case above the feed union. I have cases galore , so I have many feed unions which never seem to have changed over the years, BUT I have no return pipe ends and no one will sell one to me without
selling me the whole kit for twenty odd pounds plus the Royal Mail "Extortion rate for foreigners" ( 'nother 10 pounds). 30 pounds seems like a lot for leaving the Commonwealth ... anyway, she's still my queen too!
David Potter , in the Colonies
David J.Potter
cf160

Post by cf160 »

Please disregard previous post as I have easily secured said unions from my local hardware shop in Ottawa .
The threads are only close , but DO wind in five threads and begin to tighten up , so that will do for me to make reasonable oil seal considering the low pressures involved here.
Thanks to all who may have considered responding,
David Potter (cf160)
David J.Potter
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Dave I have mailed you re the sizes I have used, kind regards
cf160

Post by cf160 »

Richard:
I'm afraid I may well have deleted your email if you sent it this morning . I didn't recognize the name and I've had some hack attacks lately , so I delete any mail I don't recognize. Could you send it again?
Thanks,
Dave(cf160)
David J.Potter
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Dave yes the mail address is in my wife's maiden name so sorry you would'nt recognise it, the o/d as measured on the flexi hoses 1/2" & 3/4", hope this helps, kind regards
oh they are probably metric equivilant.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I seem to have had complete success with my home-made unions (after the first attempt which still had a small weep from the return side). I used Loctite pipe seal on the mating faces. I filled up the pipe from the tank and left it sitting for a couple of days with no drips, and have since had a couple of 20 mile or so runs with no "weeping" at all.

So they can be oiltight!
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650