petrol tank bolt

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.

Re: petrol tank bolt

Postby Mick D » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 am

Hi

A2 stainless is horrible stuff to work without decent tooling - it work hardens as you 'look at it'. You will need sharp cobalt or carbide drills running much slower than your B&D can achieve and with more pressure than I expect, you can exert. Tapping with HSS taps and cutting fluid may just be possible but it will be hard work and may cost you a tap or two.

Have a go by all means, but I think it will end in tears.

Regards Mick

Postby 56G80S » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am

Cheers, Mick. It won't end in tears, I won't bother thanks to your advice. Time saved. Wish I had a "proper" workshop though.

They'll be going straight back on Ebay.

As I've often said, IKBA! Stainless is a foreign country to me.

I wonder if I can get brass grub screws?

Johnny B

Postby Mick D » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:58 am

Hi Johnny

The simplest solution for one with limited tooling would be a thread insert, (Helicoil), the boring required is minimal and can be carried out using a power drill carefully. An insert repair kit, (10 inserts), will cost you about £30 or maybe someone local to you already has one.

https://uni-thread.com/tr_bsc_kits.php

Regards Mick

Postby 56G80S » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi Mick

Yes, I helicoiled (V-coiled) the head for the rocker bolts and all good.

I researched the topic and generally success results were mediocre with helicoils, I think Rob Swift found only 50% success. For some reason (although I bought some) I didn't in the end fancy Clive's solution with the Mini cotton reels. From memory (not measured) the mounting points are only about 1/4" thick.

Now going to use brass M12 bolt and make up a solution, test on a bit of scrap before going ahead. Bought some Loctite 638 as advised by Group Leader.

Thanks a lot for the advice though, you know what you're doing, I'm no engineer.

Johnny B

Previous

Return to G80 / Model 18