When is an 18 CS a model 20...? Bennets madness

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ma120990

When is an 18 CS a model 20...? Bennets madness

Post by ma120990 »

We'll. spent last night insuring the bike and tried a couple of places... one couldn't insure it.. apparently according to Bennet's after i dropped in the reg number they said my bike was a Model 20 and not an 18... erh like I am looking at it and it's deffo and 18cs.. one cylinder, CS stamped on the block , jampot suspension.. yep deffo and 18CS.. No sir that's a model 20.. :headbang: At this point I decided to end the conversation as clearly they knew better than me... Speak to Footman James,, yes sir not a problem and you have another bike, yes we can insure both.. job done.. Nice to speak to someone sensible :beer:

This morning we therefore hopped aboard the beast and added a couple of miles to the odometer.. Have to admit it went pretty well considering it's been off the road for nearly 47 years.. pulled well in the gears, brakes reasonable (compared to modern stuff). Ticked over OK when sat at the end of the road and a pretty smooth take off... gave it a little throttle in second and third and it pulled like a train..

Biggest issue was with the rider.. making adjustment to left hand footbrake pedal and right hand gear lever.

Just like Ronseal, did exactly what it said on the tin :D
SPRIDDLER

Re: When is an 18 CS a model 20...? Bennets madness

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mark, you look terrified!
Never mind the 'wrong' foot pedal arrangement, you evidently need to spend more time practicing the 'big single' grin ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

:rofl: Was trying to give my 79 year mother instruction on how to take the photo with my phone..!!
George Kaplan

Post by George Kaplan »

Alas this is not an uncommon problem in todays "computer says no" culture.

The people you talk to doesn't think for themselves and refuse to believe that the computer might be wrong.

I had a similar experience this week. I went to a well known Auto Factor for some oil. The conversation went like this:

Me: Can I buy some EP 80/90 gear oil please.
Guy: What vehicle is it for.and whats the reg number.
Me: Peugeot Boxer reg number XXXX XXX
Him: (after 5 minutes on his computer). Sorry sir we dont stock any oil for that vehicle.

Just then another sales guy comes to the counter to serve another customer and overhears me

Me: Look, do you stock EP80/90 gear oil?
Other guy: Yes we have loads of it out back.

This sort of stuff does my head in, much like your experience with Bennets.

John
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

George Kaplan wrote:Alas this is not an uncommon problem in todays "computer says no" culture.

The people you talk to doesn't think for themselves and refuse to believe that the computer might be wrong.

I had a similar experience this week. I went to a well known Auto Factor for some oil. The conversation went like this:

Me: Can I buy some EP 80/90 gear oil please.
Guy: What vehicle is it for.and whats the reg number.
Me: Peugeot Boxer reg number XXXX XXX
Him: (after 5 minutes on his computer). Sorry sir we dont stock any oil for that vehicle.

Just then another sales guy comes to the counter to serve another customer and overhears me

Me: Look, do you stock EP80/90 gear oil?
Other guy: Yes we have loads of it out back.

This sort of stuff does my head in, much like your experience with Bennets.

John

I just go to Halfords (other stores are available) and pick it off the shelf :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I had exactly the same problem with Bennets, my '54 framed '56cs engined bitsa just came up as a spring twin on Bennets and I just couldn't explain what the machine was to the lad at the end of the phone to the extent that he couldn't offer me insurance because the computer was his god and it didn't identify my machine. I gave up and just went back to Peter James, better to be safe than sorry! kind regards