Advanced and retard

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Marley

Advanced and retard

Post by Marley »

Hi,
has anyone had an auto advance/retard thats a little sluggish, it advances, but does not totally retard if so is there a remedy or just a new one.
Brad

Re: Advanced and retard

Post by Brad »

Hi.
It is worth checking that your magneto drive chain is not too tight. Several owners including me found that the operation of the AR unit can be affected by the tightness of the chain. In my case, I only had to ease the chain a little to allow the unit to work as it should and mine is a reconditioned unit.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

you don't indicate what model you have, but if its an alternator one try cleaning the AR of any congealed oil check the components for wear and possibly replace the return springs.

Regards Mick
Marley

Post by Marley »

Hi,
the bike is a G80s 1955, this problem just started after fireing up after a 1 year lay up,
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

History suggests it just needs a clean. This is a common problem after not being used for some time. I have never needed to replace anything or even take the unit apart . ( that's on a 55 350 since 1956 ) Just pour fluid on it and work it by hand, do this until the unit will promptly snap closed. You will note the fluid will come out a rusty colour, the old meat tray collects all the fluid draining out. Finish off with a good spray of WD40. Check chain tension and give it a bit of grease while you have the cover off. You will now find the bike starts a lot better as the unit has managed to fully retard. You are now all set for another year before doing this again, perhaps, after this winters lay up. A good sign it's seized again is, the bike kicks back and won't start first kick like it used to.