Gearbox and carb question

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
AJS_Chris

Gearbox and carb question

Post by AJS_Chris »

Hi,
I bought a Model 18 in March which is a joy to ride, sweet gearbox, marked GB2 KS11. However on a ride the gear change lever wouldn't return to the 'home' position. This was quickly traced to the leaf spring being broken. I rang the spares company and order a replacement and asked for all the seals for the outer cover, it turned out I also needed a gasket, a previous owner had use Hylomar and no gasket. Now the problem..... After completing repairs, pulling up a hill so with additional load, the bike feels as though it is trying to jump out of gear, a sort of lurching sensation. Adding the gasket has moved the outer cover away from the body of the gearbox so I'm wondering whether the thickness of the gasket has caused the selector drum to lose indexing (for want of a better description!). I'm not sure whether there should be a spacer on the selector drum shaft where it comes in contact with the bush in the outer case, hard to be sure from the drawings, currently the selector drum is in direct contact with the bush (no spacer). When the gearbox is assembled, with the gasket, I can detect about 1mm of end float if I pull and push on the nut that retains the gear position indicator.
My second problem is self inflicted. The carb on the bike is stamped 835, it's a monobloc but I can't find 835 as a part number, only 839? There was far too much slack in the throttle cable so I set about replacing it. I didn't realise there was no circlip on the needle so didn't note which groove the clip was in. If someone can tell me which groove from the top is typical that would give me a starting point. Not sure if it makes a difference but the bike has a competition engine. I opted for the middle position as a starter for ten.
At this point someone tells me the lurching is caused by the wrong needle position, not the gearbox :o)
Thank you in advance.
Chris.
56G80S

Re: Gearbox and carb question

Post by 56G80S »

Good to know what year the motorcycle is but I would say trying to jump out under load is usually the detent mechanism as you suggest.

From memory this is easily accessible on AMC boxes by removeing the spring retaining bolt but on the Burman it's inside - someone correct my failing recollection?

Read another thread about this only last week.

Try a Search.

Johnny B
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

Sorry, should have said the bike is 1951. The odd thing though is the gearbox was fine until I replaced the 'home' spring for the gear change lever and added the outer case gasket?

Post by 1608 »

Adding or removing the outer cover gasket can affect the indexing. With the gasket fitted the gear selection sometimes isn't made complete. This is from memory when I rebuilt my Burman box and sought advice, it made a difference. The remedy, if I remember correctly, was to shim under the selector shaft bush which compensates for adding the gasket. You shouldn't be able to feel much end float on the selector shaft. Also, for what its worth, if the sleave bushes on the main shaft are worn and have moved inboard this can make selecting 4th difficult and MAY cause jumping out of gear.
AJS_Chris

Post by AJS_Chris »

I removed the gasket and went for a spin, gearbox seems fine! Hard to believe that the thickness of the gasket would make a difference but there we are.

Back to my original post, does anyone recognise the stamping on my carb '835'?