WD G3L

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Roy Wasson.

WD G3L

Post by Roy Wasson. »

I purchased from eBay a Matchless G3L Military Model. The title from Australia says the bike is a 1942 model. The VIN is 73352. The engine no. on the title says 49.G3L11151. The bike was sold as a 1949.
I am assuming that the explanation is that the chassis is a '42 and the engine is a '49. Does anyone have the key to dating of Matchless VINs?

thanks
Roy

FerG3

WD G3L

Post by FerG3 »

Roy, I can't give you a quick answer to your query, but John Tinley can probably help. What are the numbers on the crankcase halves? There is one stamped each side of the engine on a WD G3 - and they may not match, particularly if they have been through war service! The frame number can be linked to a WD contract number and this gives the year when it was bought by WD - a useful start. I do not have this data to hand, but do have it at home. Note that there is a new WD Group set up on Yahoo by John where you can join and post this query. It has just started, so the more the merrier. Get into Yahoo and find the Yahoo Groups page (if you have not used this service, I think you have to register but this is easy and free) - search on "WD Motorcycles" then click on the group title when you have the page and this will bring a "Join This Group" page. I will check your frame number when I get home.
Fergus

FerG3

WD G3L

Post by FerG3 »

Roy, I have the info. regards frame numbers, etc. According to the data, your frame number tallies with a 1944 contract (S6150) with 6089 machines built, all with air filters fitted (presumably Volkes, fitted on top of tank). The corresponding engine number for this frame should be in the range 9000 to 9608, so it looks like your engine is indeed post-war. Is it fitted with panniers, and bags, etc? Hope this helps.
Fergus

Fergus
Roy Wasson.

WD G3L

Post by Roy Wasson. »

Thanks for the assistance. I can't read the crankcase numbers yet, as the bike is to be delivered later this week. I posted a picture of it in the gallery, if that helps any. Thanks again.

Roy

FerG3

WD G3L

Post by FerG3 »

Roy, I had a look at the photo in the Gallery and I hope it rides as well as it looks! It seems to be painted in the desert colour scheme, although shinier than usual! It has a few things that are not normal WD fittings like the rubber grips (should be canvas) and footpeg rubbers (plain metal) - but my own bike is like this and I certainly don't worry about such details. You could throw away the front number plate. It seems to be missing the Smiths speedo? It does have the correct rear carrier, but no pannier frames - or, of course pannier bags and straps. There is no pillion seat - but both panniers and pillion seat were left on or taken off as needed, so again, its up to how you want it to look. Some people go to great lengths to "dress" their bike up with genuine WWII kit - tools, spade, rifle, medical kit, etc, etc and demand that every detail on the bike is correct. But yours appears basically AOK, so I hope you will enjoy it! All the best with it.

Fergus
silverarrow

WD G3L

Post by silverarrow »

If any attention was needed to an engine it was common policy for REME to swop a complete rebuilt engine and therefore it is quite common for WD bikes to have "Wrong" engines.

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling
silverarrow

WD G3L

Post by silverarrow »

If yo need any extra help in getting the machine registered or whatever i now keep the Club WD and Prewar register and could give comparitive data of for example 42 44 and 49 model frame nos

Mail me at lessmith@members.v21.co.uk

Keep smiling
silverarrow

WD G3L

Post by silverarrow »

Have checked out the Club register and their are 7 other 44 G3L's all with frame nos surrounding yours. For further help do join the internet group For wd & prewar AJS/M

go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wd-prewar-ajandmatchless

Keep smiling
33d6

WD G3L

Post by 33d6 »

Hi Roy,
Very few WD G3L's ever came to OZ during WWII. The Poms weren't silly, they kept most of them. We mainly had BSA M20's or US Lend Lease stuff. Your bike is most probably a much later enthusiast's import that is moving on. There's no such thing as an Australian title, each State has their own system so its not simple to get old info. I can help with Matchless engine numbers for my State of Victoria but the powers that be pulped all old registration documents when they computerised so a decent history is rarely possible. Cheers, BOB

Roy Wasson.

WD G3L

Post by Roy Wasson. »

Bob:

I still have not seen this bike (hung up in Customs, even though I paid $425 to a Customs Broker), but I am still trying to learn about it. The title is indeed from Victoria, Title No. 18672633, VIN 73352, Control No. VIC 31762AB. Thanks for your help.[:)]

Roy