1954 G3LS Footrest

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
en7jos

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by en7jos »

Michael,

The foot rests on my 1951 G3LS are very definitely on the inside of the frame. They are a different design to those shown in Spriddler's photos though with more squared-off, chunkier-looking ends where the bolt goes through. They're a real sod to get on/off when it comes to doing anything with the primary requiring lots of wiggling back and forth to find the spot where they'll slide in and out.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the exhaust routing was different on the WD G3's - over rather than under, (or was it vice-versa?) the foot pegs. Could that have something to do with it?

Oh, and I think the pegs also fit inside the frame on a 1949 G3 with a solid rear end too, so maybe they were like this up until a certain date?

James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
saltymike

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltymike »

Hi James - thanks for your reply! The reason I asked the question in the first place was because my footrests, which are also inside the frame, simply won't fit properly outside the frame - the LH one would almost certainly foul the brake arm. They definitely look right where they are, but as you say, it makes removing the PD chain cover tricky.

I'm fairly sure there has been another discussion here along similar lines but I can't find it ...

My frame is a '54, as is most of the rest of the bike but it appears to me that '54 was a rather odd year and I suspect that the factory might have mixing and matching earlier parts to use them up. By '55 most of the changes seemed to be pretty well established. Of course I could be completely wrong - I was quite young at the time!

By the way I really like your website - it's got excellent information on it! It must have taken some time to build.

Regards
Michael
aobp11

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by aobp11 »

Michael,
You must have the wrong type of footrest arm. The official type could never be fitted between frame and plate, unless you accept a bike without primary chain and chain case. See pictured 018601 in spares list. Spacer 010911 sits between frame and plate. This was also the case in 1953, so I don't believe in mixing parts at the factory.
Albert
en7jos

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by en7jos »

quote: Michael: it appears to me that '54 was a rather odd year and I suspect that the factory might have mixing and matching earlier parts to use them up. By '55 most of the changes seemed to be pretty well established.

I've always thought the same about 1951-52 models with the gearbox / clutch transitions, etc. Maybe ever year was a 'rather odd year' at AMC?
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
saltymike

1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by saltymike »

Hi Albert

thanks for your input - yes I had seen that part number but it's hard to tell if my footrest is actually like the one illustrated. I suppose I'll have to take it all apart and try to sort it out. The bike was built up by someone else and I'm really just 'checking' to make sure it's ok. This whole business started because I want to remove the dynamo as it doesn't work and anyway the chain was way too tight!
Oh well, I have to ask myself what else would I be doing - at least this keeps me off the streets
Invicta

Re: 1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by Invicta »

Hi,
I know this is a bit late, but for the benefit of anyone else with a similar problem. I have a `1950 rigid model 18 and that has the footrests inside the frame. My rigid 1949 model 18 is very different with the left side footrest brazed onto the footrest bar and then with three spacers in between, one long one between the plates and two of different length on the outside of the plates. So it appears that AMC did make some models with the footrests inside the frame. Seems a strange idea to me from a maintenance point of view but it was possibly to save a bit of metal. Shorter footrest bar and shorter spacers, if they are fitted. Dave.
sno335

Re: 1954 G3LS Footrest

Post by sno335 »

Hi, just to say my 54 G3 has the footrests inside the frame rails, really tight to the chaincase.The square section stud that holds them on only has enough thread for them to be fitted like that.Obviously there were variations over the years!