carburettor

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
keith

carburettor

Post by keith »

I need to do something about the amal on my G3 but what[?].Do i have it reconditioned?do i replace it with a new one?or is there another answer i.e. Mikuni,Concentric etc. Hope somebody out there can help. Many thanks.

bjork

carburettor

Post by bjork »

I have been down the recon. route with my Matchless.Good but not perfect.You don't say which year or model you're referring to. New Amals are available from a number of places(incl. the club?)they will be a better bet than a resleeved old carb. There is a likelyhood of distortion and other wear with an old recon carb. which a few of the resleevers don't attend to. the Mikuni is the best option by far, if it will fit!(older G3's with the rear mounted mag don't have a lot of space between head/mag/oil tank to fill) But if you can bolt one on they are the best fuel metering device you'll find-OK! apart from digitally controlled fuel injection!If you want to win show prizes get the correct spec Amal,if you want enjoy riding it get a Mikuni to fit! Let us know which way you go.

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
keith

carburettor

Post by keith »

Thanks Steve

Mine is a G3 1959, so therefore no mag. I think from what you have said I should have room for a Mikuni and try that avenue in the first instance.