Tyres for G3L ?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Colin F

Tyres for G3L ?

Post by Colin F »

mmmm registration papers showing things like tyre sizes smacks a bit too much of big brother![:(]
I would suggest that a 3.25 tyre on the rear is a bit on the skinny side a 3.50 would be better.
What do you intend on using your bike for? this will affect the choice of tyres. I use my 350 for a lot of travelling and I have actually changed the rear wheel to 18" which gives a lot better choice of tyres.
The K70's are not a bad tyre for general use, Speedmasters I have always found good on the front, but a bit square on the back unless you have a sidecar![:D]
I would wait until a few others answer and them make a choice based on the general opinion as I know a few will disagree with what I have said![:p]
Eric

Tyres for G3L ?

Post by Eric »

I tend to agree with Colin most bikes in the UK will have an Avon Speed Master either 3.00 or 3.25 x 19 on the front and Avon Safety Mileage 3.50 x 19 on the rear. But yes the Avon SM is rather square in section particularly when you compare it to modern bikes. So perhaps a good mix would be Avon Speed Master 3.25 x 19 for the front and a Dunlop K70 3.50 x 19 on the rear. Use tyre pressures of 18psi to 20psi front 22psi to 24psi rear. Sorry I dont know what that is in bar.

silverarrow

Tyres for G3L ?

Post by silverarrow »

I agree that 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear would be correct. I have used Barum Mitas tyres recently which have a nice period look and good profile while not costing the earth.

There are 14.5 psi to 1 bar or 1 psi = 0.06895 bar

So 20 psi = 1.4 bar and 24 psi = 1.65 bar

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
silverarrow

Tyres for G3L ?

Post by silverarrow »

You must tell the authorities that it was fitted with 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear when new.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
Colin F

Tyres for G3L ?

Post by Colin F »

You Know that Les and so do I, and probably another couple of thousand club members, [:)] but I have looked through spares books, riders manuals and workshop manuals and no where is that information printed![:0]
Maybe a period Dunlop publication would list suitable tyres for each make/model but it would appear that AMC didn't,[:(]
Given that this Tutonic efficency lists everything down to tyre sizes might they want documentry evidence (probably in triplicate at least) before Michael will be allowed to put proper boots on his steed[:D]

If it was me, I would put the 3.50 tyre on the back and then go and berate the authorities that they had got the document wrong! Here is the bike with a 3.50 tyre, my document says 3.25 obviously some jumped up clerk can read his own writing etc[}:)] But then again I do like to meet anything like that "head on"[8D]